The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

Would you say that English Language is better than English Literature for studying French and Spanish A Levels? I’m considering taking French, Spanish, Psychology and English Language. Also does English Language require less work?
Which will you enjoy the most?
Ask what the set books are for the Eng Lit syllabus?

And btw, no-one needs 4 A levels.
Stick with 3.
I do both English language and literature a level, both require “work” they aren’t easy a levels but personally I didn’t like English language that much at gcse I preferred literature, but since a level I know love language way better than literature, and it’s 10x more fun, literature becomes more boring and demanding in a level. although language is also demanding it is actually fun and interesting and you learn many relevant things that will help u in the future, unlike literature where we read abt poems from 200 years ago that won’t help in the real world.
Original post by fareeda234
we read abt poems from 200 years ago that won’t help in the real world.

What an intellectually naive statement.
Original post by McGinger
What an intellectually naive statement.

Well I am the one who does literature.
Original post by username6046376
Would you say that English Language is better than English Literature for studying French and Spanish A Levels? I’m considering taking French, Spanish, Psychology and English Language. Also does English Language require less work?

Heya!
I would recommend looking into syllabi for both or perhaps even google some YT reviews of how other people found the subjects and see if its something that you would be interested in doing :h: I only know a bit about English lit (my friends did it) and they covered lots of poems and found it hard but also very interesting. Also, unis only require 3 a-levels so perhaps think about picking 3 rather than 4 (for your own benefit!).

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Knowing about the mechanics of language from studying a language can help with English Language but the reverse is not so true. French and Spanish A-Level however do require analysis of texts but the really hard part is the literary texts you'll have to study. In light of this, Eng Lit is a more complementary subject for modern languages.

Most subjects are niether easier or harder, it all depends on your starting point and aptitude. For example, Maths is considered a facilitating subject and fewed by some universities as 'harder' than say Film Studies. But if you're a 9 grade GCSE Maths student but struggled with English Lit or History, Film will be much more of a challenge to you. Likewise, if you don't love Maths, you are unlikely to achieve a good grade and consequently the kudo of the subject is minimal, i.e. what looks better A* Film Studies or D Maths?

Quick Reply

Latest