The Student Room Group

EMA owe me £90 and won't give it back -- please help!

Hello,

I am in the midst of an issue which is seeing me £90 out of pocket. In short, EMA sent £60 and £30 to the wrong bank account (which was closed) in September and October. These funds were returned (or "bounced") back to them. I have been contacting them for 7 weeks to try and resolve the issue, but all they're doing is ignoring my emails and giving no form of resolution on the telephone.

It is at this point that I must consider other options to retrieve this money.

Please help!

sleekduck90
Original post by sleekduck90
Hello,

I am in the midst of an issue which is seeing me £90 out of pocket. In short, EMA sent £60 and £30 to the wrong bank account (which was closed) in September and October. These funds were returned (or "bounced") back to them. I have been contacting them for 7 weeks to try and resolve the issue, but all they're doing is ignoring my emails and giving no form of resolution on the telephone.

It is at this point that I must consider other options to retrieve this money.

Please help!

sleekduck90

Hi there,

Are you studying in Wales or Northern Ireland?

Unfortunately Student Finance England are unable to assist with EMA queries as this funding is not administered by SFE. I would recommend contacting your award authority directly for further details.

Thanks,
Tina
Original post by Tina Oliver SLC
Are you studying in Wales or Northern Ireland?

I'm studying in Wales. I wasn't able to choose the Student Finance Wales section as it does not exist. It should, however. A cursory internet search last night shows that a substantial amount of people have experienced the same treatment from Student Finance Wales regarding money owed. It seems to be that when you owe the system money, they chase you down like a dog -- if they owe you money, they ignore your emails and complaints.

What I'll most likely do is chase down Citizens Advice, or my local MP (probably both!) to see where we go from here. This £90 has been KEPT since September and October, so realistically I should be paid interest on monies owed.

Many thanks,
sleekduck90
Original post by sleekduck90
I'm studying in Wales. I wasn't able to choose the Student Finance Wales section as it does not exist. It should, however. A cursory internet search last night shows that a substantial amount of people have experienced the same treatment from Student Finance Wales regarding money owed. It seems to be that when you owe the system money, they chase you down like a dog -- if they owe you money, they ignore your emails and complaints.

What I'll most likely do is chase down Citizens Advice, or my local MP (probably both!) to see where we go from here. This £90 has been KEPT since September and October, so realistically I should be paid interest on monies owed.

Many thanks,
sleekduck90

Hi there,

You can contact Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) Wales on 0300 200 4050. I'd recommend contacting them directly to help resolve your query.

Unfortunately as EMA is not available via Student Finance England (SFE), we are unable to help with these queries.

Thanks,
Tina.

Quick Reply

Latest