The Student Room Group

Maths exams -AEA, TMUA, STEP, MAT

I am applying for Maths based undergraduate courses starting in the acedemic year 2024-25. I would like to understand which additional exam will help me strengthen my application. Also which ones are harder and which ones are considered higher in the hierarchy of importance in general.
I am an international student. Do I need to travel to the UK to sit the AEA exams?
It is a bit difficult to understand which exam to attempt as there are so many Maths exams!
Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.
Short answer: look at the websites of the universities you want to apply to, it will specify there.

Long answer: You can only take MAT if applying to Oxford (required), Imperial (required if applying before MAT registration deadline), or Warwick (not required - you have to take one test, but you can choose), and if you do take it you can also share you result with Durham and/or Bath.
Anyone can take TMUA, a large range of universities use it but as far as I know none require it. Many will give a lower offer if you do well enough in it.
Anyone can take STEP, which is required for Cambridge, and some others use it similarly to the TMUA.
I don't know about AEA but I imagine it is similar to TMUA.
MAT/TMUA are done in October 2023, STEP/AEA in June 2024.
i agree with yellowleaf, the maths exams you need to take depend on which university you apply to :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by in6
I am applying for Maths based undergraduate courses starting in the acedemic year 2024-25. I would like to understand which additional exam will help me strengthen my application. Also which ones are harder and which ones are considered higher in the hierarchy of importance in general.
I am an international student. Do I need to travel to the UK to sit the AEA exams?
It is a bit difficult to understand which exam to attempt as there are so many Maths exams!
Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Agree with the other posters - you need to check with the specific unis you're aiming at, and you haven't given us any information about the standard of uni / type of course you're looking at :smile:

UK uni maths courses vary enormously in terms of things like intensiveness of course, mixture of pure and applied topics, dependency on exams or coursework, level of computer work involved etc. A low-ranked uni may not even have heard of STEP, let alone take it into account, and the higher-ranked unis are usually fairly specific about whether they do or don't require additional entrance exams, or if they don't require them whether they offer lower A level or IB grades if you take the optional exams as a mitigation. Have a look at some uni websites and also post in the Mathematics forum (not Maths) if you want some feedback from people applying to uni.
Reply 4
Thanks a tonne!
That is very useful.
I need to do more ground work.
Will write to different universities and gather information and come back again for specific queries.
Thanks a lot for all the help.
Original post by in6
Thanks a tonne!
That is very useful.
I need to do more ground work.
Will write to different universities and gather information and come back again for specific queries.
Thanks a lot for all the help.

You probably won't need to write to them, on their course descriptions on their websites it will tell you if they want an admissions test (and if so, which specific one).
Original post by yellowleaf23
Short answer: look at the websites of the universities you want to apply to, it will specify there.

Long answer: You can only take MAT if applying to Oxford (required), Imperial (required if applying before MAT registration deadline), or Warwick (not required - you have to take one test, but you can choose), and if you do take it you can also share you result with Durham and/or Bath.
Anyone can take TMUA, a large range of universities use it but as far as I know none require it. Many will give a lower offer if you do well enough in it.
Anyone can take STEP, which is required for Cambridge, and some others use it similarly to the TMUA.
I don't know about AEA but I imagine it is similar to TMUA.
MAT/TMUA are done in October 2023, STEP/AEA in June 2024.

TMUA is compulsory for Economics or Computer Science at Cambridge but yeah for most universities it isn't (also the TMUA is being withdrawn from 2024)
Reply 7
Thanks a lot! Very useful info. I am glad I asked for help!

Quick Reply