The Student Room Group

mock exams

I have mocks tomorrow and I've left everything till last minute, now im stressing because I dont understand anything. does anyone have any tips?
Original post by mariaia
I have mocks tomorrow and I've left everything till last minute, now im stressing because I dont understand anything. does anyone have any tips?

Have you ever heard of Cognitive Performance Anxiety (CPA). It's a condition which most people experience to some degree whereby you become stressed by your perceived weekness at cognitive tasks (one example of which would be exams).

When we are stressed we release cortisol as part of our natural "fight or flight" response. (One of the roles of cortisol is to increase the amount of glucose available as energy for the major muscles in the body. It also narrows the arteries that pump blood to the heart, making the heart work harder and at an increased pace. Both great for "fight or flight".)

Unfortunately an increase in cortisol during memory retrieval hinders recall - i.e. it's harder to remember things. Not ideal during an exam!

All of this is a long-winded way of saying to do everything you can to keep your stress levels low. If you go into your mock stressed because you don't think you're sufficiently prepared, then that stress will cause your exam performance to drop.

So relax! :smile:
Original post by mariaia

First of all, I would try not to panic too much, they are only mock exams (but for goodness sake, learn from experience and make sure you're prepared for the actual exams).

Due to time constraints, unfortunately you're not going to be able to revise everything so I would recommend making a list of topics you're most struggling with and try and have a read through your revision notes/textbook.

Also, don't try anything drastic like staying up all night to revise because you will be exhausted and will most likely not retain any information at all.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest