The Student Room Group

History degree

Which is the best choice to study History from the universities I have applied to: UCL, KCL, LSE, Exeter and QMUL?

Edit: Thank you to all the replies
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ElleCaruana
Which is the best choice to study History from the universities I have applied to: UCL, KCL, LSE, Exeter and QMUL?

The one that has the most interesting modules.

Do you mind me asking why? These articles aren’t really related to choosing between universities?
Do you mind me asking why? These articles aren’t really related to choosing between universities?

The first one does.
I agree with the above advice to look at modules.
This is a personal choice, there is no objective measure of better. :nah:

They are telling you to think abot the sort of history degree you want to study, and to look slightly deeper than just the brand name of the Universty.
With a degree like history it's very dependent on your interests and what is available at each uni. For example, LSE exclusively teaches modern history (maybe a touch of late medieval stuff in there), and focuses heavily on international history. UCL offers a wide range of ancient and modern history options, plus a few medieval, and has a reasonable spread of world and British history. So as noted you should look at the modules on offer and consider your interests!

Also consider the format/structure of the course - UCL for example has a structure of different types of modules (thematic/seminar/special subject), with the special subject modules making up half of your final year (as you do a linked 30 credit module and a 30 credit dissertation on that module), whereas LSE the modules are mostly the same credit weighting and just have various methods of teaching and you have a great deal of free reign in choosing which to study I understand.

Look also at what options they have outside of history, as often you can take a few modules outside your main subject area. UCL has a huge range of languages to choose from for example (ancient and modern), and many departments you can draw modules from, both history related (e.g. archaeology, history and philosophy of science, maybe history of art) and others (depending on your background, anthropology, sciences, politics, even drawing through the Slade etc).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 04MR17
The first one does.
I agree with the above advice to look at modules.
This is a personal choice, there is no objective measure of better. :nah:

Apologies I have just realised it does indeed. True it is but I love all of the London four, the modules look great. I am very indecisive so I just wondered if anyone had any advice (teaching, prestige etc.)
Thank you, I hadn’t really thought about about credit, I will consider this now as I couldn’t make up my mind based on the modules. :smile: Very helpful.
Original post by artful_lounger
With a degree like history it's very dependent on your interests and what is available at each uni. For example, LSE exclusively teaches modern history (maybe a touch of late medieval stuff in there), and focuses heavily on international history. UCL offers a wide range of ancient and modern history options, plus a few medieval, and has a reasonable spread of world and British history. So as noted you should look at the modules on offer and consider your interests!

Also consider the format/structure of the course - UCL for example has a structure of different types of modules (thematic/seminar/special subject), with the special subject modules making up half of your final year (as you do a linked 30 credit module and a 30 credit dissertation on that module), whereas LSE the modules are mostly the same credit weighting and just have various methods of teaching and you have a great deal of free reign in choosing which to study I understand.
Thank you, I hadn’t really thought about about credit, I will consider this now as I couldn’t make up my mind based on the modules. :smile: Very helpful.

I also edited in a further comment on external module availability above :smile:
Original post by McGinger
They are telling you to think abot the sort of history degree you want to study, and to look slightly deeper than just the brand name of the Universty.

Thanks for your reply. I have visited and looked at the modules of all of my choices and couldn’t decide (some others I didn’t like I didn’t put down). Whilst brand name is not the most important thing to me, it is still of importance as I am aware employers value different universities differently.
Thanks for your reply. I have visited and looked at the modules of all of my choices and couldn’t decide (some others I didn’t like I didn’t put down). Whilst brand name is not the most important thing to me, it is still of importance as I am aware employers value different universities differently.

This only applies to investment banking and management consulting roles. No other jobs care about where you went to uni.

In the realm of IBanking and management consulting, LSE and UCL are target unis, the others are semi-target at best. So if that is your aim you should focus on LSE and UCL.

If you aren't interested in investment banking (because say, you have morals, a sense of self, or want any kind of quality of life during your 20s) then it literally does not matter which of those 5 you study at :smile:
Apologies I have just realised it does indeed. True it is but I love all of the London four, the modules look great. I am very indecisive so I just wondered if anyone had any advice (teaching, prestige etc.)

In order, what would you say is your favourite kind of history?
Military history
Political history
Social history
Economic history
Cultural history
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
This only applies to investment banking and management consulting roles. No other jobs care about where you went to uni.

In the realm of IBanking and management consulting, LSE and UCL are target unis, the others are semi-target at best. So if that is your aim you should focus on LSE and UCL.

If you aren't interested in investment banking (because say, you have morals, a sense of self, or want any kind of quality of life during your 20s) then it literally does not matter which of those 5 you study at :smile:

Thanks, I am unsure what profession I’d like to go into. I just have repeatedly been told by various adults in high positions that a degree is not worth the same from everywhere . It is nice to hear otherwise! :u:
Original post by 04MR17
In order, what would you say is your favourite kind of history?
Military history
Political history
Social history
Economic history
Cultural history

Probably ...
Social history
Political history
Economic history=Cultural history
Military history

Though I really do enjoy studying all of the above (it is a very close call).
(edited 1 year ago)
Probably ...
Social history
Political history
Economic history=Cultural history
Military history

Though I really do enjoy studying all of the above (it is a very close call).

UCL
Year 1 - majority political history
Year 2 - fair balance
Year 3 - Cultural and political history

KCL
Year 1 - vague
Year 2 - not enough info
Year 3 - Heavy political history

LSE
Year 1 - political and economic history
Year 2 - Very heavy economic focus
Year 3 - political and economic history

QMUL
There's just one big list of modules, can't split it up by year.
Massive skew towards political history and then a lot of cultural history too.

Exeter:
Year 1 - the most social history I've seen on any of these courses. More closer focus on Early Modern and Medieval history than the others too.
Year 2 - Quite a global focus here.
Year 3 - Mostly political in outlook.

Summary: if economic history is not your thing, don't go to LSE. You will have to do it, in considerable depth in 2nd year.
If you are more of a modern historian, discount Exeter, you will inevitably go further back than the modern period on any of your courses, but the easiest place to do that would be Exeter. If you're a Medeivalist though, Exeter should be your top choice.

KCL is the hardest to read. I was under the impression that their course was more military focused but maybe I'm getting confused with somewhere else.
Thanks, I am unsure what profession I’d like to go into. I just have repeatedly been told by various adults in high positions that a degree is not worth the same from everywhere . It is nice to hear otherwise! :u:

While that may well have been true when they went into their roles, these days companies really do not pay much mind to where you studied - since degrees are so commonplace now they are mainly just a tickbox process for recruiters and your performance in assessment centre activities and psychometric tests, as well as the interview, is what is more important in differentiating applicants. The exception is as noted, investment banking and management consulting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending