The Student Room Group

Bristol PGCE

Has anybody any advice for the PGCE primary interview with UWE Bristol and what type of questions they would ask

I’ve a interview on Wednesday

Many thanks !
Reply 1
I interviewed for Uni of Bristol but not for UWE. The UoB interview was torturous, they had pages and pages of questions and went through them all. it took ages, longer and harder than the Oxford interview. I hope that UWE are a bit kinder!
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
I interviewed for Uni of Bristol but not for UWE. The UoB interview was torturous, they had pages and pages of questions and went through them all. it took ages, longer and harder than the Oxford interview. I hope that UWE are a bit kinder!

Oh no way really , was it for primary PGCE ? Thanks for your reply hopefully it isn’t as hard as that that sounds like a nightmare .
Reply 3
Original post by rmccann4
Oh no way really , was it for primary PGCE ? Thanks for your reply hopefully it isn’t as hard as that that sounds like a nightmare .

Secondary - it was by far the hardest interview I sat, and I was sure I had failed it (I was offered the place, somehow!). I hope UWE is much nicer, but there is a lesson there - even if you think you have fluffed it, you probably haven't :biggrin:

Best of luck!
Reply 4
Hi! I’ve got a bristol uni PGCE interview for English coming up soon and this is not good to hear 😭what subject were u applying for and what would u recommend in terms of preparation because they’ve barely told me anything?
Original post by mjojo22
Hi! I’ve got a bristol uni PGCE interview for English coming up soon and this is not good to hear 😭what subject were u applying for and what would u recommend in terms of preparation because they’ve barely told me anything?

Hi. Sorry I haven’t got an answer to your question but I’ve just submitted my application for Secondary English to Bristol and was wondering how long they took to get back to you with offer of an interview. Also, if you go for your interview before anyone replies to tell you what’s involved, I would really appreciate hearing from you what it was like 😆. Best of luck 🤞
Reply 6
Original post by Wordygirly
Hi. Sorry I haven’t got an answer to your question but I’ve just submitted my application for Secondary English to Bristol and was wondering how long they took to get back to you with offer of an interview. Also, if you go for your interview before anyone replies to tell you what’s involved, I would really appreciate hearing from you what it was like 😆. Best of luck 🤞

Hey! I heard back from everywhere I applied for within a week for an offer to interview and they normally give you like about a weeks notice but I asked to push them all back as I was in the US last month and they were all happy to reschedule. Bristol interviews are online so if u did wanna reschedule u have to have a really good reason they said. The interviewing ladies were both really nice, there’s an hour long group interview which is very laid back they do a brief get to know me and then ask various prompts about classroom teaching etc and you can build off other peoples ideas etc. I was worried about it being awkward if u accidentally cut across someone or if you don’t get a chance to speak but everyone was really polite and took it in turns so it was a good experience. Then they send you an unseen poem and give you an hour to write an essay that you have to write and submit straight after the interview- it needs to be handwritten. Then I had a one to one interview for an hour which was the hardest part. During the one to one they give you 10 mins to write up a 5 minute presentation giving feedback on a random piece of year 7 work. It is an intense interviewing process it took over 3 hours for the whole thing. Also if you have an education advisor the questions they send you that they claim always come up in interviews don’t come up 😭I had all my prepared notes in front of me and in my one to one she asked me questions such as name a pre 20th century text you would teach to a mixed ability year 8 class. It’s not as easy as “why do you want to teach” I never even got asked that question 😭overall it definitely is a lot more intense than I was expecting but they’re very nice and they do try and make it as stress free as they can. Make sure you read up on current educational issues, behavioural management strategies, national curriculum and their ofsted report. Hope this helps!
Original post by mjojo22
Hey! I heard back from everywhere I applied for within a week for an offer to interview and they normally give you like about a weeks notice but I asked to push them all back as I was in the US last month and they were all happy to reschedule. Bristol interviews are online so if u did wanna reschedule u have to have a really good reason they said. The interviewing ladies were both really nice, there’s an hour long group interview which is very laid back they do a brief get to know me and then ask various prompts about classroom teaching etc and you can build off other peoples ideas etc. I was worried about it being awkward if u accidentally cut across someone or if you don’t get a chance to speak but everyone was really polite and took it in turns so it was a good experience. Then they send you an unseen poem and give you an hour to write an essay that you have to write and submit straight after the interview- it needs to be handwritten. Then I had a one to one interview for an hour which was the hardest part. During the one to one they give you 10 mins to write up a 5 minute presentation giving feedback on a random piece of year 7 work. It is an intense interviewing process it took over 3 hours for the whole thing. Also if you have an education advisor the questions they send you that they claim always come up in interviews don’t come up 😭I had all my prepared notes in front of me and in my one to one she asked me questions such as name a pre 20th century text you would teach to a mixed ability year 8 class. It’s not as easy as “why do you want to teach” I never even got asked that question 😭overall it definitely is a lot more intense than I was expecting but they’re very nice and they do try and make it as stress free as they can. Make sure you read up on current educational issues, behavioural management strategies, national curriculum and their ofsted report. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. That’s really helpful. I have an interview with Bristol confirmed for 20th Feb and one with a Schools Direct provider which will probably be on 24th! Waiting to hear back from the other Schools Direct route. Really nervous but actually just want to get them done so I know what’s happening and I can go back to writing for my dissertation 😆. Best of luck. Do you know which offer you are going to go with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending