The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Help picking a Durham college

Hi all,
I'm an international student who got an offer for Durham PPE. I was wondering if anyone could help in picking Durham college preferences as I am completely lost. To me, the most important factor is that I don't want it to be extremely posh, I would also prefer a more international college, good sports, and catered if possible. Any advice is very helpful
Original post by Nirvbm
Hi all,
I'm an international student who got an offer for Durham PPE. I was wondering if anyone could help in picking Durham college preferences as I am completely lost. To me, the most important factor is that I don't want it to be extremely posh, I would also prefer a more international college, good sports, and catered if possible. Any advice is very helpful

Collingwood, Cuth's, and Mildert would all fit this requirement. I think there are also other colleges like Grey, Mary's and few others
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, I helped my son rank his last year. You had to rank them from top to bottom, when you got an offer. (I thought this year you don't do it until you much later in the process), but anyway this is how we did it...where geographically do you want to be?. My son was maths so wanted to be near to the science site. He also knew he wanted to be catered. He also knew he would prefer gowned. So gowned catered Hill colleges went top of the list, then non gowned catered hill colleges, then catered gowned baileys colleges, then self catered colleges were all at the bottom of the list, Hild bede was to far away so that went to the very bottom on the list . You can get lots of information of each college online from the official durham page and each colleges jcr page , also Facebook and Instagram pages. There are also some colleges guides on YouTube to help
Original post by Nirvbm
Hi all,

Hiya

PPE students (in the first year at least) usually have their classes on/near the science site like in the Al-Qasimi building. If you want a college closer to where your classes would be, your choices narrow down to 9 colleges out of 17. Since you want catered accommodation, it further narrows down to 5 i.e., St Marys, Grey, Van Mildert, Collingwood and Trevelyan. I feel that all colleges offer similar opportunities when it comes to sports so you'd have a good chance at all of them. The same goes for having a good mix of international students. Maiden Castle (Sports and Wellbeing Centre) would be the closest to St Marys and Grey although almost all of these colleges also have sports facilities on site. You can also choose amongst them based on the types of rooms they offer- some may have more singles or ensuites if you prefer that.

Finally, do check out all of the colleges' social media pages to see which one interests you more. Most of them have a Tiktok page as well so you can find some cool college-related content there.

Let me know if I can assist you further :wink:

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest