jobs to do with biochemistry and medical biocehmistry Watch

sharp357
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok i was planning on applying for medicine but didnt quite get the grades and so decided on biochemistry or possibly medical biochemistry. i was wondering if anybody could tell me the big differences between these two courses and the sort of jobs you would expect to be applying for after graduating

thanks
LearningMath
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like the look of biochemistry and biotechnology, slightly put off by people saying they are essentially practical based, true?

Research and teaching are the obvious ones... i think the NHS hire biochemists to analyse samples etc
Revd. Mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Medical biochemistry will probably be almost entirely human based apart from base principles perhaps. It will probably also feature heavily aspects like the biochemistry of pathogens and disease, pathological biochem, some aspects of pharm etc.

Biochemistry will probably be more general.

With both you could easily get a job in industry, go into research, teach etc. If you wanted to work in the NHS as a biomedical scientist or something, both course could probably get you the job, but the medical biochem course would probably give you an advantage, and may even offer some of the necessary professional accreditation.

EDIT: As for the practical-ness, it will vary. But there will be practical sessions that will probably range from data manipulation and presentation to actual lab work. But on the whole, the amount of practical you do will probably be dwarfed by the amount of lectures etc.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?