The Student Room Group

Mathematics and its Learning degree - could I then tech A level?

I am thinking of starting a Mathematics and its learning OU degree. Will this qualification be sufficient for me to then teach A level in schools?
Yes you can do it if you believe I yourself and also get support from your siblings
Reply 2
Original post by walker1966
I am thinking of starting a Mathematics and its learning OU degree. Will this qualification be sufficient for me to then teach A level in schools?

It doesn’t have Qualified Teaching Status (QTS) so you will need additional training that does, such as a PGCE.
Reply 3
Original post by Arno11
It doesn’t have Qualified Teaching Status (QTS) so you will need additional training that does, such as a PGCE.

Thanks, yeah, I already have a PGCE, but currently only teach functional skills, as I am qualified up to A level. I think a degree is required to teach in A level in schools, so I am looking for a relevant degree which will satisfy that requirement. I was unsure if they usually require a purely maths/stats/mechanics type degree or not.
@04MR17 might know more about the requirements for moving to teaching other areas if you already have QTS - maybe you can just do an SKE instead of a full degree?
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
@04MR17 might know more about the requirements for moving to teaching other areas if you already have QTS - maybe you can just do an SKE instead of a full degree?

Can you get a student loan for an SKE course?
Original post by walker1966
Can you get a student loan for an SKE course?

I think in shortage subjects (like maths) the government pays you to take the SKE? But that might only be applicable for people who don't have QTS yet.
(edited 1 year ago)
Your training provider who awarded you QTS will have had you enrolled on a course to teach a specific age range. For me that was 11-16, for others it's 11-18. Legally QTS enables you to teach anyone, including primary.

Quick Reply

Latest