The Student Room Group

Interrupting my Masters

Hi, my initial plan after completing a Masters degree in 2024 was to apply for a PGCE. I am financially struggling to pay for my dissertation component (a compulsory field trip abroad for research) which is why I decided to change to a part time course in the first place. Would I be able to interrupt my studies after completing the first half of my degree to complete a PGCE, then return to the university where I am studying for my Masters to finish the second half of my degree? Would my student finance funding for either the PGCE or the Masters be affected in any way? Financially, completing an MA outside of London (whilst commuting for over 6-7 hours overall whenever I am in) has been difficult and working insane hours alongside it has been emotionally and physically draining. It has had a negative impact on my mental health.
Original post by Jayyyyyyyy99!
Hi, my initial plan after completing a Masters degree in 2024 was to apply for a PGCE. I am financially struggling to pay for my dissertation component (a compulsory field trip abroad for research) which is why I decided to change to a part time course in the first place. Would I be able to interrupt my studies after completing the first half of my degree to complete a PGCE, then return to the university where I am studying for my Masters to finish the second half of my degree? Would my student finance funding for either the PGCE or the Masters be affected in any way? Financially, completing an MA outside of London (whilst commuting for over 6-7 hours overall whenever I am in) has been difficult and working insane hours alongside it has been emotionally and physically draining. It has had a negative impact on my mental health.

Hi there,

If you were to suspend your masters course, your application would still be considered an active application on our systems. This means you wouldn't be able to apply for a PGCE at the same time, or during the suspension of studies, as this would be classed as simultaneous funding.

You could only apply for a PGCE once your masters is completed, or after withdrawing from a postgraduate course. However, please be aware that by withdrawing from a postgraduate course, you would then be ineligible to apply for another masters loan, or resume the previous loan at a later date if a PGCE is completed in the interim.

Thanks,
Tina.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending