The Student Room Group

Is English Language/Literature worth resitting? GCSE

Hi! I am taking a gap year and I did not do so great in English with a 5-5. I am also going to be self studying Further maths (I am a much more mathematical person than any essay based subject) in the gap year and I wonder if its worth also doing english/lang lit alongside or if just putting that time into admission tests like TMUA/STEP would be more valuable.
(Considering applying to Oxbridge but not a guarantee if I don't believe in myself lol)

Thank you!
If you want to apply to the top top unis go ahead! But if your either GCSEs are strong you should be good.
Original post by PhysicsIsPain
Hi! I am taking a gap year and I did not do so great in English with a 5-5. I am also going to be self studying Further maths (I am a much more mathematical person than any essay based subject) in the gap year and I wonder if its worth also doing english/lang lit alongside or if just putting that time into admission tests like TMUA/STEP would be more valuable.
(Considering applying to Oxbridge but not a guarantee if I don't believe in myself lol)

Thank you!

Look at the entry requirements (both for A levels and GCSEs) on uni websites for the courses you are considering. If you meet the grade requirements for English, then don't bother resitting.

Thank you!

Heya!
If you are applying for Oxford then do consider resitting as they do look at GCSEs and they would prefer if you had 8s. If you want to apply to Cambridge then just check the entry requirements for the course you want to do there first :h: They might ask for 5 or 6 and above but it's better to double-check it before considering resitting. For Cambridge, the a-levels, PS, admissions tests and interviews are more important than GCSEs. I would also recommend looking at other unis like UCL and checking their GCSE entry requirements just in case since Oxbridge is very competitive. Usually, unis just want maths and english so it would be important for your english mark to cover the entry requirements.

Also, if you need some free resources for admissions tests then do check out this website (linked). Hopefully, it helps you with your preparations!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
If you are applying for Oxford then do consider resitting as they do look at GCSEs and they would prefer if you had 8s. If you want to apply to Cambridge then just check the entry requirements for the course you want to do there first :h: They might ask for 5 or 6 and above but it's better to double-check it before considering resitting. For Cambridge, the a-levels, PS, admissions tests and interviews are more important than GCSEs. I would also recommend looking at other unis like UCL and checking their GCSE entry requirements just in case since Oxbridge is very competitive. Usually, unis just want maths and english so it would be important for your english mark to cover the entry requirements.

Also, if you need some free resources for admissions tests then do check out this website (linked). Hopefully, it helps you with your preparations!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hello! Thank you for the response, I am opting towards Cambridge, would you recommend then I rather focus on the admission tests? I do not entirely remember how heavy both English GCSES are which is why I don't want it to be a detriment but I would happily aim for an 8/9 and put in the extra hours needed if it is really worth that much more.

Thanks!
Original post by normaw
Look at the entry requirements (both for A levels and GCSEs) on uni websites for the courses you are considering. If you meet the grade requirements for English, then don't bother resitting.

For the unis outside of oxbridge they do not need more than what I have and for the oxbridge I was leaning towards Cambridge which I heard do not care about GCSES as much, what do you think about adding on GCSE english?

How content heavy do you think it'll be on top of a self studied a level?
Original post by TTAva2000
If you want to apply to the top top unis go ahead! But if your either GCSEs are strong you should be good.

My other GCSES arent terrible my sciences are not bad (877) and I got 8 in maths, other subjects like French/English I did not do so good at

Do you think its worth pushing the english up?
Do you have any personal experience of how heavy english lit/lang as a standalone self study course is?
if you were to put it as a fraction of an a level to put it in comparison, do you think you could give me an estimate?

Thank you!

Original post by TTAva2000

Original post by StudyMind
Heya!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Actually ignore my individual replies, I think I will first see how well I do in my current A-Levels and see if it is worth pursuing.
My friend got 6-5 in English and still got a Cambridge interview in Economics,

I think I might just consider focusing on maths, reading problem solving books and such and just do the admission tests and things like UKMT to add to my Ps instead of working on an english grade.

Thank you all for the assistance though and if I feel like I have a lot of time I might consider doing it
Hello! Thank you for the response, I am opting towards Cambridge, would you recommend then I rather focus on the admission tests? I do not entirely remember how heavy both English GCSES are which is why I don't want it to be a detriment but I would happily aim for an 8/9 and put in the extra hours needed if it is really worth that much more.

Thanks!

Heya!
On the Cambridge entry page (here) they say: 'There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.' So I think you should be fine :h: Focus on your a-levels and admissions test for now but make sure your GCSEs fit the other unis entry requirements (e.g. UCL sometimes requires a 6 as a min for some courses but it depends) so be careful! Cambridge is competitive so good luck and fingers crossed you get in :h:

Good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest