The Student Room Group

hi how do you answer a 9 mark question

basically i tried writing one for this question, but it was way too long about 2 and a half pages and obviously, you don't get that much in the test i think you get about a page and a bit so i wanted to ask advice about how to write an 9 mark question.

This is it:

Assess the extent to which tropical storms have effects on people and the
environment.
Use Figure 5 and an example you have studied. (9 marks and 3 SPAG marks)

I have some ideas but if anybody else has any, please tell me

ty :smile:

(for today if you can)
Reply 1
Original post by anonymousps
basically i tried writing one for this question, but it was way too long about 2 and a half pages and obviously, you don't get that much in the test i think you get about a page and a bit so i wanted to ask advice about how to write an 9 mark question.

This is it:

environment.

(for today if you can)

so i assume this is geography?
Original post by dmf19
so i assume this is geography?

yes it is- if you could help me please, it would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by anonymousps

This is it:

environment.

(for today if you can)

The SPAG, you are most likely to get all three marks, as long as you haven't made major spelling errors everywhere

For the actual 9 marks I recommend starting of with a statement, so: 'Tropical storms have a high/medium/low effect on people and the environment'

choose a case study (or two so you can compare) for example, typhoon Haiyan

Then go on explaining at least 2 points and develop while adding a statistic from your chosen case study

if youre aiming for higher marks say write a counter argument, for example, if you said tropical storms effect people to a high extend see if you can find an example where it doesn't

make sure you include the figure as well! anything from it!

fianlllyyyy make sure to add a conclusion. it might add you a random extra mark

hope this helped :smile:
Original post by StormyInk202
The SPAG, you are most likely to get all three marks, as long as you haven't made major spelling errors everywhere

For the actual 9 marks I recommend starting of with a statement, so: 'Tropical storms have a high/medium/low effect on people and the environment'

Then go on explaining at least 2 points and develop while adding a statistic from your chosen case study

if youre aiming for higher marks say write a counter argument, for example, if you said tropical storms effect people to a high extend see if you can find an example where it doesn't

ok tysm!! also how long should it be an if you can if you have enough time, could you show like an example answer?
(Original post by StormyInk202)The SPAG, you are most likely to get all three marks, as long as you haven't made major spelling errors everywhere

if youre aiming for higher marks say write a counter argument, for example, if you said tropical storms effect people to a high extend see if you can find an example where it doesn'

Original post by StormyInk202

for the conclusion could you say something like- In conclusion, I think that the extent which to the effects of tropical storms affect people and the environment is major. No matter what effects you have, they will also affect people one way or another. However, I would also argue that economic damage is done. Even though it is directly linked to people, economic is not specifically mentioned in the question. Money is huge in the re-development of the country (e.g fixing the environmental damage) therefore it is as important as the effects of people and the environment.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest