The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Jinxy
Is it possible to do this and get on a course for it having not done chemistry before at As/A level.

Only I'll probably have to take chemistry in a 3rd year of study and I don't want to spend 2 years on the As/A2. Can you get courses that offer both in one year and teach at a quick pace.
I'm just worried that because I haven't done it other than GCSE that I won't be allowed on the fast courses.

Ta.

You can probably do A level Chemistry in one year... however I'm quite confused as to the questions about the courses...
Reply 2
I'm doing chemistry AS at the moment, and the rate at which it is going at is so unbelievably slow that I'm sure I could do several times the work this year that I'm doing now.

However, A2s are a whole different game apparently, and it would certainly be very hard. What other subjects will you be doing along with it?
Do you mean you want to do both the AS and A2 in one year? Personally, I wouldn't recommend it - that's if you could find a 'fast course' of course. More likely is that you would have to be a private candidate and teach it yourself...why the sudden need to have chemistry may I ask?
Reply 4
DJkG.1
I'm doing chemistry AS at the moment, and the rate at which it is going at is so unbelievably slow that I'm sure I could do several times the work this year that I'm doing now.

However, A2s are a whole different game apparently, and it would certainly be very hard. What other subjects will you be doing along with it?

I don't need to do it alongside other subjects, it would be on it's own in a gap year.

Need it for medicine my school could not offer me chemistry.
Reply 5
EierVonSatan
Do you mean you want to do both the AS and A2 in one year? Personally, I wouldn't recommend it - that's if you could find a 'fast course' of course. More likely is that you would have to be a private candidate and teach it yourself...why the sudden need to have chemistry may I ask?

yes. I want to apply to medicine and my school could not offer me chemistry cos the class was full and they wouldn't let me in it. only one class this year as lack of teaching staff...
Jinxy
yes. I want to apply to medicine and my school could not offer me chemistry cos the class was full and they wouldn't let me in it. only one class this year as lack of teaching staff...

Weird, it's such a fundamental subject I would've thought most schools would arrange for you to study it somewhere if you really wanted to take it. Maybe your school is ****, i dont know. How did you realise so late that you needed Chemistry for medicine?
Reply 7
Chemistry is like the hardest A-level subject. You can give it a go, but it certainly won't be easy.
Reply 8
silent ninja
Weird, it's such a fundamental subject I would've thought most schools would arrange for you to study it somewhere if you really wanted to take it. Maybe your school is ****, i dont know. How did you realise so late that you needed Chemistry for medicine?

i didnt realise late...

i have no where that offers courses near me so i have to wait until i finish sixth form so i can travel to london to do them.

im not planning to sit it for 2 years yet
Then I'd suggest another college, if you can't do what you need there - on the whole medical schools don't like you to take your A-levels over three years :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Jinxy
I don't need to do it alongside other subjects, it would be on it's own in a gap year.

Need it for medicine my school could not offer me chemistry.

Ignoring for now the comments about getting into medical school and whether you can or can't and just focusing on the chemistry A-level - I think it's entirely possible if it's the only A-level you're doing!

AS is easy to be fair, and I think in 1 term you could do both units and the coursework requirement, and then you'll have from Jan to June to prepare for the A2 units, and with no other subjects, it's definitely doable.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 11
DJkG.1
Ignoring for now the comments about getting into medical school and whether you can or can't and just focusing on the chemistry A-level - I think it's entirely possible if it's the only A-level you're doing!

AS is easy to be fair, and I think in 1 term you could do both units and the coursework requirement, and then you'll have from Jan to June to prepare for the A2 units, and with no other subjects, it's definitely doable.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you! That's a good way of looking at it .
Reply 12
Jinxy
Thank you! That's a good way of looking at it .

No problem, it's true too! :cool:

But a lot of hard work, chemistry is one of the hardest A-levels, especially at A2!
How much do you enjoy chemistry? Im doing A2 Chemistry this year, after getting a B last year. I enjoy Chemistry, and A2 can get very annoying at times. But if you enjoy it, you learn to think about it. If you do plan to do it in a year, i suggest edexcel, because, in my opinion, the papers are workable, and you can see trends. That's only my opinion but i hope it helps. :smile:
Sounds brutal - i wouldn't like to have to do that. I'm sure it is possible, where there's a will there's a way and all that jazz..
Reply 15
John Locke
Sounds brutal - i wouldn't like to have to do that. I'm sure it is possible, where there's a will there's a way and all that jazz..

yeh i think so do. but honestly what other choice do i have :frown:

Latest