The Student Room Group

Can I do an Undergraduate degree in Criminology and a Post-Graduate in forensics?

Hi all,
I wanted to ask a quick question on whether I can do an undergraduate in Criminology and a Post-Graduate in forensics?

I read on indeed that this is possible but I just wanted to double check wether this is true or not because I really want to get into a Forensic Science job- specifically Forensic Pathology, but I unfortunately don't do a Science A-level (since I was 1 grade off at GCSE). The A-levels I do are: Health&Social Care, English Lit and Drama.

I know that Forensics is a much more science based subject than Criminology but I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if this is something you can do? If not, is there any other way of getting into a Forensics course at Uni? I was thinking of doing an online Level 3/4 diploma in Biology but I know not all Uni's accept this.

It would be great to know if anyone has any type of answer or advice for me! I know that I'm only in Year 12, but I'd rather know sooner than later so I'm prepared for doing my Uni applications etc.

Thanks!

Ruby
I guess U are talking about Forensic Science, since there are other focuses on Forensic. There are courses on Forensic psychology, or Computer Security and Forensics, or Forensics Science and Criminology, which are not strictly requiring science subject in A Level.
Original post by ruby_c3
Hi all,
I wanted to ask a quick question on whether I can do an undergraduate in Criminology and a Post-Graduate in forensics?

I read on indeed that this is possible but I just wanted to double check wether this is true or not because I really want to get into a Forensic Science job- specifically Forensic Pathology, but I unfortunately don't do a Science A-level (since I was 1 grade off at GCSE). The A-levels I do are: Health&Social Care, English Lit and Drama.

I know that Forensics is a much more science based subject than Criminology but I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if this is something you can do? If not, is there any other way of getting into a Forensics course at Uni? I was thinking of doing an online Level 3/4 diploma in Biology but I know not all Uni's accept this.

It would be great to know if anyone has any type of answer or advice for me! I know that I'm only in Year 12, but I'd rather know sooner than later so I'm prepared for doing my Uni applications etc.

Thanks!

Ruby

Hi Ruby,

When it comes to a master's, I would always suggest contacting an institution you are potentially interested in to check whether they would accept a degree in Criminology as a basis for a master's in Forensics.

Criminology definitely has relevant themes to forensics but you are right in saying that, as a course, it is focused more on the social/political/legal side of things.

Something to consider is that a lot of Criminology degrees incorporate modules that are relevant to Forensics.

For instance, Wrexham Glyndwr University's Criminology and Criminal Justice degree has a couple of modules relevant to areas of Forensics. This includes an optional module in your first year entitled "Introduction to Forensic Psychology" and you can explore themes of forensics in your third year as well.

I would take a look at a couple of courses and maybe contact some universities so you can base your future decisions on informed responses.

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions about our Criminology course!

Best wishes,

Maddy
Wrexham Uni Rep
Reply 3
Hi Maddy,

Thank you so much for this advice! It's such a great help :smile:

I'll definitely have a look at different Universities and contact them to see, thank you for that suggestion!

Many thanks again,
Ruby
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
Hi Ruby,

When it comes to a master's, I would always suggest contacting an institution you are potentially interested in to check whether they would accept a degree in Criminology as a basis for a master's in Forensics.

Criminology definitely has relevant themes to forensics but you are right in saying that, as a course, it is focused more on the social/political/legal side of things.

Something to consider is that a lot of Criminology degrees incorporate modules that are relevant to Forensics.

For instance, Wrexham Glyndwr University's Criminology and Criminal Justice degree has a couple of modules relevant to areas of Forensics. This includes an optional module in your first year entitled "Introduction to Forensic Psychology" and you can explore themes of forensics in your third year as well.

I would take a look at a couple of courses and maybe contact some universities so you can base your future decisions on informed responses.

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions about our Criminology course!

Best wishes,

Maddy
Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest