The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh vs St Andrews for International Relations

I am an international applicant from the US and recently got unconditional offers from St Andrews and Edinburgh for International Relations. I much prefer Edinburgh to St Andrews, because I want to go to uni in a city, however, the IR program at St Andrews ranks higher than at Edinburgh. St Andrews is also heavily American, and I don't see the point in going to the UK for uni just to be around the same people I have lived with my whole life. I am also worried about Edinburgh because I found some statistics that showed a 47% satisfaction ranking for the IR program, which is not ideal. Is it worth it to go to Edinburgh over St Andrews, and is the difference in teaching and satisfaction for IR significant?
I don't know about teaching satisfaction but in general I would assume Edinburgh has more alumni and resources for International Relations.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
With a little bit of digging you'll find this is not the case. St Andrews is home to one of the largest and most competitive International Relations departments in the United Kingdom. It competes with LSE, Oxford, and KCL for the best students and faculty. Edinburgh is a fine place to study, but for International Relations it's not competing at the same level as St Andrews. I don't imagine many duel admits choose Edinburgh over St Andrews for International Relations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending