The Student Room Group

Cambridge Mathematics Interview

Suppose a Cambridge maths applicant has already achieved SS in STEP 2 and 3 before applying, with the highest possible predicted grades in her qualifications and strong supportive references. If she somewhat messed up in the interview (some careless mistakes and one or two brain fails) but managed to recover after being prompted and ultimately correctly solved all questions in her interviews, is she likely to be rejected?

Not applying to Trinity btw
(edited 1 year ago)
The College will consider each person as a picture of which the interview is only a fragment. This person sounds like a great applicant so I doubt a couple stumbles at interview will take away from her application. In any case, trust the College to make the right decision. If she doesn't get in, she'll be better off wherever else she goes.
Original post by anonymous_mathmo
Suppose a Cambridge maths applicant has already achieved SS in STEP 2 and 3 before applying, with the highest possible predicted grades in her qualifications and strong supportive references. If she somewhat messed up in the interview (some careless mistakes and one or two brain fails) but managed to recover after being prompted and ultimately correctly solved all questions in her interviews, is she likely to be rejected?

Not applying to Trinity btw

Rejection is not out the question. However this will be because of personal statement not because of interview. Does the PS potray a person with an immense passion for mathematics, demonstrated with some example supercurriculars?
The Faculty of Mathematics' Guide to Admissions says:
"All Colleges assess applicants by considering all available information as a whole (for example a single bad grade or weak reference will not in isolation mean you do not get an offer). Interviews are intended to complement and explore the data provided by exam grades, application statements and references."

That would suggest that she shouldn't expect a rejection from a less-than-perfect interview if she is otherwise a strong candidate. So I suppose it will depend on how many other good candidates that College has received this year?

I've heard that the bar is set higher for international candidates, although you haven't said if she is one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending