The Student Room Group

When your doing a presentation, do you need to read out the citation?

When you're doing a presentation, do you need to read out the citation?
If that made sense ??
no
Hi,

If your doing a presentation using Powerpoint usually you include a reference list at the end of your slides, in the applicable referencing format. When reading out slides I wouldn't read the citation as it sits in the sentence, but if you're referring back to research you perhaps say something like 'Freud's' research shows x or y, or following on from 'Freud's' research this support x... if that makes sense.

When presenting it's always good to follow a script rather than just reading out what's on the presentation too!

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:
Original post by cherryhitchkins
When you're doing a presentation, do you need to read out the citation?
If that made sense ??

You don't need to read out the full reference, but it can be useful to say something a little more akin to spoken word. So for example if you had paraphrased or quoted something from John Smith, or mentioned a theory he had created, you would put the in text reference next to the part on the slide which has this quote or paraphrase or theory (e.g. (Smith, 2022)). Then when presenting you could just say "Smith says" or "Smith discusses" or "Smith argued", just to ensure that you are making clear that it isn't your own idea.

Hope this helps!

-Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
I have seen people do this, and it can be a bit messy. However, it's good to name-drop the scholars you have used in preparing your presentation ("as X says" etc), as this shows precisely where you are drawing on sources. The only exception is where you have multiple sources by the same author and here you might want to differentiate. You will presumably be handing in a References List. If you are using Powerpoint, then you could include them on that (but wouldn't have to read them aloud.

Quick Reply

Latest