Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know doctors have long hours, but under the nhs guidelines, how many hours (technically in job description) do FY1 and FY2 work? then SHO's etc.

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    My dad was a GP and did 4-5 days a week, about 4 times a month he did an overnight shift in a hospital. They're realy not long hours, most his time was spent working on management and form filling than actualy being a doctor...

ReputationRep:
    Very good question, quite a contentious issue. Doctors are supposed to work 48 hours/week according to the European Working Time Directive and any more than this is considered dangerous and discouraged by management because it conflicts with their pay arrangements. You're also supposed to eat five fruit and veg a day and call your grandma on her birthday, so make of that what you will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    My dad was a GP and did 4-5 days a week, about 4 times a month he did an overnight shift in a hospital. They're realy not long hours, most his time was spent working on management and form filling than actualy being a doctor...
    Wow, your experiences of one person and a GP at that so not FY1 or FY2.

OP eventually, if and when they bring in European working time directive, will be 48 hours (paid) a week. At the moment it varies according to job

ReputationRep:
    OP, if you're worried about 'working too much' - don't go into healthcare!

ReputationRep:
    Are there different bands of pay depending on your hours, like how long and insociable they are? And these affect your pay? 'Cause they're fading out some of the higher ones. Well that's what I was told by a few ST2's and an ST1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LozengeC)
    Are there different bands of pay depending on your hours, like how long and insociable they are? And these affect your pay? 'Cause they're fading out some of the higher ones. Well that's what I was told by a few ST2's and an ST1.
    There wont be by the time you qualify, they are phasing out banding, everyone will be on base rate

ReputationRep:
    All jobs have to be band 1 by 2009 intake of foundation docs...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm not entirely sure on how the banding system works (though I'm sure the information is out there) but it is true that the highest-paid (and most hours) bands will be phased out by the time we all start work. But someone still has to work those hours...

(Original post by Fluffy)
    All jobs have to be band 1 by 2009 intake of foundation docs...
    I'm currently doing nigh on 100% unsocial shifts (all shifts are either nights or finish past 7pm). I work 1 weekend in 2. I get band 1a.

The job i'm switching to in a few weeks is worse. I'll be formallw orking 9-5. Realistically I'll work 8.30-7. I will do no weekends or nights nor on-calls. Ergo I'll be unbanded.

Needless to say I'm gonna diary card my ass off the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yeah, I'm not entirely sure on how the banding system works (though I'm sure the information is out there) but it is true that the highest-paid (and most hours) bands will be phased out by the time we all start work. But someone still has to work those hours...
    True, but then again if it is a fair (admittedly ******** assumption from my experience of medical staffing) then everyone shares the ****. Swings and roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyhelicopter)
    Wow, your experiences of one person and a GP at that so not FY1 or FY2.

OP eventually, if and when they bring in European working time directive, will be 48 hours (paid) a week. At the moment it varies according to job
    You misunderstand, i was responding to 'doctors have long hours', which evidently isnt always true.

ReputationRep:
    But if they're limiting the hours won't they have to hire more staff?

And when I was on work experience the length of my day varied (I was staying with the consultant as she's a family friend), with one day being 11 hours. It just depends on how long the work takes, although ST1's and 2's generally stick to the timed stuff more accurately.

ReputationRep:
    depends whether they're on a medical or surgical ward. Usually medics need to be in at 9am and surgeons need to be in at 8am.

My medic f1 did 9-5, no nights, 'on call' once a week or so (5-9pm)
    I'm not sure about my surgery f1s, I think they do 8-5 or 6 most days. They don't do nights and not sure about on calls.

The 48hr a week EWTD comes into practise Aug 2009. Even then I don't think it'll be adhered to.

ReputationRep:
    But if they're limiting the hours won't they have to hire more staff?
    And they'll reduce the patientload too?

******** they will. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    My medic f1 did 9-5, no nights, 'on call' once a week or so (5-9pm).
    Sounds like bliss - mine (on a non-take day) seems to regularly work 8am-7pm (and they are **** hot - I'd hate to think what it would be like if we had a useless FY1). We do a medical take once in 6 days - alternating 8-3.30pm or 3.30-9.30pm (which actually usually finishes at 12am!), the F1s seem to work a 1 in 4 or a 1 in 6, and have second on call (covering AMU, but not on take) or a third on call (covering the wards) on top... I get the impression if you're not on a team that does takes, you do the lions share of second on...

ReputationRep:
    My medical F1 works 9 til 6.30 ish, 1 in 5 til 10 though.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question

by 1 in 4, 1 in 5 etc. you mean they do that time once every 1 in 4 days or 1 in 5 days? is that correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    My medical F1 works 9 til 6.30 ish, 1 in 5 til 10 though.
    nice, 9am mornings. I could have some of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trektor)
    by 1 in 4, 1 in 5 etc. you mean they do that time once every 1 in 4 days or 1 in 5 days? is that correct?
    Yer, a 1 in 4 means that you're 'on' every fourth day and every fourth weekend. Although things aren't as precise as that anymore.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 25, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.