The Student Room Group

Leaving a student accommodation contract

I'm wanting to move out of my current student flat as I don't get on well or feel comfortable with the people I live with, they're difficult people to approach so I can't talk to them about any issues.

I recently enquired about moving out or withdrawing from my current contract to the student rental company I'm with and was told unless I find a replacement tenant I am still liable to pay the termly rent.

Any suggestions on what to do??
Original post by H4R0
I'm wanting to move out of my current student flat as I don't get on well or feel comfortable with the people I live with, they're difficult people to approach so I can't talk to them about any issues.

I recently enquired about moving out or withdrawing from my current contract to the student rental company I'm with and was told unless I find a replacement tenant I am still liable to pay the termly rent.

Any suggestions on what to do??

Hi H4R0,
That does sound about right that you're being asked to find a replacement tenant. However, I would say it's worth checking with your student rental company if the have rooms available in any other flats or, if they don't, at least expressing interest in moving flats if a room becomes available. If you do still want to leave your contract and therefore need to find a replacement tenant, I would recommend advertising it on forums like TSR, social media or spare room. Be sure to make sure your student rental company is aware every step of the way and that the contract takeover is processed by them.

Hope this helps.

- Sophie
Reply 2
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi H4R0,
That does sound about right that you're being asked to find a replacement tenant. However, I would say it's worth checking with your student rental company if the have rooms available in any other flats or, if they don't, at least expressing interest in moving flats if a room becomes available. If you do still want to leave your contract and therefore need to find a replacement tenant, I would recommend advertising it on forums like TSR, social media or spare room. Be sure to make sure your student rental company is aware every step of the way and that the contract takeover is processed by them.

Hope this helps.

- Sophie

Hiya Sophie,

Thank you for your response, this is very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest