The Student Room Group

Returning to university after placement year

I've really been enjoying my placement year as part of my Mechanical Engineering master's degree. When I get back to university, I'll have another two years of learning though before I get my degree.

I have a feeling it will be hard readjusting to university life; doing lectures, homework, the crazy long holidays, and the academic atmosphere. To be honest, if I could I would just stay at my internship. Being at university is expensive, you get hardly any contact time because of the hybrid working, and 6 months of the year is holiday.

My question therefore is, is there a way to make this period shorter? Could I do my third year and get a BEng then do a crash course at the Open University for a few months to get the Master's? Could I do the Master's part time funded by a company? Does anyone have any ideas?
Speak to your lecturers or professors about any possibilities of shortening the courses, as I asked my chemical engineering professors about switching from BEng to MEng (increasing the course length ik, but you can also ask about shortening it) and they said it was fine. I think it varies at each university and department.
Original post by Isha8080
Speak to your lecturers or professors about any possibilities of shortening the courses, as I asked my chemical engineering professors about switching from BEng to MEng (increasing the course length ik, but you can also ask about shortening it) and they said it was fine. I think it varies at each university and department.

The course at my university is limited by the university calendar, so there's no chance to speed it up. The only thing I could do is forfeit the last year but then I would be giving up the Master's degree.
Original post by David_Collyer
The course at my university is limited by the university calendar, so there's no chance to speed it up. The only thing I could do is forfeit the last year but then I would be giving up the Master's degree.

I see, I'm not so sure about it but if you really would like to get the master's degree straight after BEng, then just continue and think of it as only being two years left together. If you don't mind waiting to do master's later in a few years in order to leave university sooner, then ask if you can switch to BEng.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending