The Student Room Group

Getting better on the phone at work

How do you become more confident on the phone at work?
Sometimes it just takes time. Years ago I worked a summer job on the phone for a department store and it took me a few weeks for my voice to be clear and to know how to handle complaints or customer orders
One trick is to smile while speaking, it sounds weird as you're on the phone but it'll make you sound more friendly and helpful as you talk
If you need a second to gather your thoughts you can also say things like: "One second...the computer is going slow atm..." and use the time to compose yourself
Best of luck
Original post by Alan Higgs
Sometimes it just takes time. Years ago I worked a summer job on the phone for a department store and it took me a few weeks for my voice to be clear and to know how to handle complaints or customer orders
One trick is to smile while speaking, it sounds weird as you're on the phone but it'll make you sound more friendly and helpful as you talk
If you need a second to gather your thoughts you can also say things like: "One second...the computer is going slow atm..." and use the time to compose yourself
Best of luck

Great bits of advice! What helped me was repeating out loud the most common phrases I had to use, sometimes even answering the most common questions. I felt a bit silly doing it, but it really helped. It does get better over time, you'll see. Good luck!
Possibly need a bit more contextual information but . . .

I find a really good quality headset helps me pick up subtle information you can miss in a speaker and excludes any background distraction noise (for me or the listener)

Also there is something about standing up that changes your tone, I use a stand up desk and always stand up for important calls

Feeling more confidence come down to all sorts of stuff around prep, practice, visioning etc. Before tricky calls I often rehearse with someone I trust and try out a few directions it might go in
I used to hate phone calls something about them was sooo anxiety inducing. But just doing them repeatedly normalises them. I always have a pen and paper so during the call i can note anything but also prior you can make bullet points just to remind yourself what needs to be said and it can all run smoothly or just sometimes doodling whilst on call helps

Quick Reply

Latest