The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
i remember one were the car mounted the pavement, narrowly missing a woman and her child in a pushchair. the poor woman was in absolute histerics afterwards, unsurprisingly :frown:
Reply 101
M_J
I don't think thats a nice thing to say, Mo :frown:

I've seen the other side and seen the innocent ones hurt, and there was no media coverage or sympathy. You're right its not nice and i don't feel better saying it but you have to see the other side as well. Hopefully this doesn't happen again.
MeAndBubbles
are you doing a law degree:rolleyes:

No it's called common sense.
Reply 103
Was the guy actually drunk who was driving?
Reply 104
minimo156
I've seen the other side and seen the innocent ones hurt, and there was no media coverage or sympathy. You're right its not nice and i don't feel better saying it but you have to see the other side as well. Hopefully this doesn't happen again.

So the passengers are not innocent to you?
They weren't physically driving the car away at 80mph.. just being in the car didn't make them guilty.. IMO, anyway.
Reply 105
You're right, a red light at 3:30 in the morning probably wasn't a big deal But you're acting as if that makes it okay. They took the risk of running the red light and lost out, they then took the risk of attempting to outrun a police car and lost out. I have no sympathy whatsoever for whoever was in the car (don't care about their gender either, don't see why you keep bringing it up, or their age, 18/19 is an acceptable age for us to assume they should be responsible for themselves). They were all stupid enough to to allow a drunk/idiot drive the car they sat in AND were too stupid to do anything when he/she sped off.

Heh, you hide behind the fact that it's probably not that dangerous to jump a red light, but ignore/are incapable of understanding that driving at 70mph in low visibility conditions is.

Reply 106
Sziphix
. They were all stupid enough to to allow a drunk/idiot drive the car they sat in AND were too stupid to do anything when he/she sped off.
!

The guy picked them up? it wasnt like theyd been out with him all night and watched him drinking, so they wouldn't know he was drunk unless he was completely out of it, in which case I doubt he would've been able to handle a car in a built up area at 30mph, let alone 80mph.

Also stupid enough to do anything when he sped off!? what are they ment to do grab the guy from behind?! Jump into the footwell and press the brake with their hands!? I think they would've pretty much died then and the last thing you want to do when someone is going 80mph is take your seat belt off to do these things!
Reply 107
M_J
So the passengers are not innocent to you?
They weren't physically driving the car away at 80mph.. just being in the car didn't make them guilty.. IMO, anyway.

True it doesn't but they should have forced te driver to stop. Im more focusing on the driver who risked many lives not only the unlucky passengers. Thats why there are many campaings to stop drink-driving.

And getting a lift of a suspect drink driver isn't very sensible is it?
steveoyo
The guy picked them up? it wasnt like theyd been out with him all night and watched him drinking, so they wouldn't know he was drunk unless he was completely out of it, in which case I doubt he would've been able to handle a car in a built up area at 30mph, let alone 80mph.

Also stupid enough to do anything when he sped off!? what are they ment to do grab the guy from behind?! Jump into the footwell and press the brake with their hands!? I think they would've pretty much died then and the last thing you want to do when someone is going 80mph is take your seat belt off to do these things!

If any of my friends took off from the lights I'd grab the gearstick and slam it out of gear. And it we were on a hill I'm get some hadbrake action going.

Edit: Not saying the passengers were wrong for not doing that, I'm just saying if it happened to me thats what I'd do.
Reply 109
3 more idiots removed from the gene pool. Nice to see Darwin in action.
Reply 110
steveoyo

They might have been with them all night, and they may have been drunk as well so i dont think they'd notice it either.

Im not saying the passengers were completly innocent and im not sayin they were guillty. God knows what the situation was but there must have been something they could have done.
Reply 111
TommyWannabe
If any of my friends took off from the lights I'd grab the gearstick and slam it out of gear. And it we were on a hill I'm get some hadbrake action going.

Edit: Not saying the passengers were wrong for not doing that, I'm just saying if it happened to me thats what I'd do.

:ditto: same here
Reply 112
minimo156
They might have been with them all night, and they may have been drunk as well so i dont think they'd notice it either.

Im not saying the passengers were completly innocent and im not sayin they were guillty. God knows what the situation was but there must have been something they could have done.

The articles say they were picked up by them on the way, they could've been out with them previously I guess. I haven't seen anything in the news that says they'd been drinking though.

To react to someone driving erratically by pulling the hand brake might've helped, or it might've caused the car to crash and hit someone else then you're liable for the deaths.

It's easy to say what you would of done as they only had 2 minutes of thinking time where as you've got all the time you like to think about it. Maybe they could've saved themselves by reacting differently but I'd say the blame is entirely on the driver and two innocent people were killed.
Reply 113
steveoyo

Source?
Even if this story is confirmed, my opinion doesn't change.
They are stupid enough to let a man pick them up at the early hours of a Sunday morning, and should have suspected the possibility that the driver could be under the influence, common sense.

If I found myself in a speeding car being driven by someone who is drunk, that's what I'd try and do; press the brakes, pull the handbrakes, try and get to the ignition, anything! I'd much rather take the risk of the car coming to a screeching halt (and possibly hitting a brick wall, or another person, but at a lower speed) as opposed to just "buckle up! lolz!" and hope that:
The driver doesn't crash. (How else do police chases stop unless the driver himself stops, or they manage to roll out the stingers and stop it that way.)
The driver doesn't run anyone over. (Must suck to live the rest of your live thinking you could have done something that saved a life.)
If the driver does crash, I don't think a seatbelt would be much protection against this:
One person survived and is in critical condition.

I am however, sympathetic to the families involved and the police officer, they are one that have to live with these people's fatal loss of judgement. Of course, I'm assuming that the people in the car, either made the concious decision to drink past the limit where they can think, or are completely sober but still able to make rational decisions. If for some reason the passengers couldn't do anything, then obviously they didn't cause the situation.
Reply 114
steveoyo
The articles say they were picked up by them on the way, they could've been out with them previously I guess. I haven't seen anything in the news that says they'd been drinking though.

To react to someone driving erratically by pulling the hand brake might've helped, or it might've caused the car to crash and hit someone else then you're liable for the deaths.

It's easy to say what you would of done as they only had 2 minutes of thinking time where as you've got all the time you like to think about it. Maybe they could've saved themselves by reacting differently but I'd say the blame is entirely on the driver and two innocent people were killed.

Yeah, I completely agree with this..
From the evidence there is now, I'd say the three passengers are all innocent. The driver made the decision to flee, he is the one at fault.
Doesn't trigger happy refer to shooting without any care or something similar?
Reply 116
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7733096.stm
He said: "It would appear that first there were two men in the car and then they offered a lift to the two girls from Oldham town centre and there has been this tragic consequence."

Yea I agree it's stupid of them to get in the car, but up until you're dead you don't know the car will crash. I've been in a car with someone going 130mph and I've been **** scared but all I did was say slow down, I wouldn't do anything about it unless I knew I was going to crash/die, which is impossible.

They also didn't know they would crash into a brick wall roll over and burst into flames, there are plenty of car crashes at 80mph in which wearing a seat belt will save your life (and plenty were wearing a seatbelt will cause you to die as your not flung clear of the crumpled wreckage!) it's all unknown until it happens and then someone says, 'well they should've done this'

Sziphix
Source?
Even if this story is confirmed, my opinion doesn't change.
They are stupid enough to let a man pick them up at the early hours of a Sunday morning, and should have suspected the possibility that the driver could be under the influence, common sense.

If I found myself in a speeding car being driven by someone who is drunk, that's what I'd try and do; press the brakes, pull the handbrakes, try and get to the ignition, anything! I'd much rather take the risk of the car coming to a screeching halt (and possibly hitting a brick wall, but at a lower speed) as opposed to just "buckle up! lolz!" and hope that:
The driver doesn't crash. (How else do police chases stop unless the driver himself stops, or they manage to roll out the stingers and stop it that way.)
The driver doesn't run anyone over. (Must suck to live the rest of your live thinking you could have done something that saved a life.)
If the driver does crash, I don't think a seatbelt would be much protection against this:
One person survived and is in critical condition.

I am however, sympathetic to the families involved and the police officer, they are one that have to live with these people's fatal loss of judgement.
Reply 117
M_J
Yeah, I completely agree with this..
From the evidence there is now, I'd say the three passengers are all innocent. The driver made the decision to flee, he is the one at fault.

He is ... one persons actions destroys the lives of three passengers and the police and the local community.

Deep condolences to the innocent. The law should be changed to ensure those that start a pursuit are dealt more harshly in the courts.
Reply 118
minimo156
He is ... one persons actions destroys the lives of three passengers and the police and the local community.

Deep condolences to the innocent. The law should be changed to ensure those that start a pursuit are dealt more harshly in the courts.

Wow thats nice. Some poor bastard hops the lights, is scared ******** by sirens around him and is eventually caught.

Nice way to ruin someones life jerkoff.

Honestly what a bunch of ******. People are not infallable and all this **** condemming them etc is extremely heartless.
level_red
Wow thats nice. Some poor bastard hops the lights, is scared ******** by sirens around him and is eventually caught.

Nice way to ruin someones life jerkoff.

Honestly what a bunch of ******. People are not infallable and all this **** condemming them etc is extremely heartless.

what happened to stopping hoping you can talk your way out of it and if not coughing up the fine

Latest

Trending

Trending