Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hear a lot of negative things about the SU; e.g. - it's over-politicised and stratafied, it's badly organised, not very many good societies.

Is any of this true? What other bad things are there about the SU?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ive heard that too...may hijack trents events lol..

ReputationRep:
    I've heard quite the opposite actually...and when I visited there seemed to be a lot of societies, but then again that doesn't say how good they are.

ReputationRep:
    nottingham university is not good.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Depends which Uni you go to I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Helpful, hehe

Especially the guy with more warnings than attempts to use proper punctuation :P

Does anyone here go to Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiphopopotamus)
    Helpful, hehe

Especially the guy with more warnings than attempts to use proper punctuation :P

i didnt. realise, I was being graded;

ReputationRep:
    Helpful, hehe

I go to Nottingham, and have encountered no problems with the SU - as far as I can tell people like the SU and what the do - I don't know the 'inside information' if you like, but they organised an excellent freshers week and events, there are lots of societies to suit almost any taste, most of which are listed on the SU website if anyone's bothered to look, and I get facebook messages through from societies I'm members of as well as the general SU societies group at least four times a week with lots of different events and socials that they have organised for the week.

I've heard it's not very political, but frankly that doesn't bother me in the slightest... There are others here who have been here longer that will know more than me, however :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    i didnt. realise, I was being graded;
    Irony won't save you now little fellow, you're already a ****

That is, I'm hoping it's irony, otherwise I'm very sorry for you

ReputationRep:
    Irony won't save you now little fellow, you're already a ****

That is, I'm hoping it's irony, otherwise I'm very sorry for you
    and why would i plan on getting saved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    I go to Nottingham, and have encountered no problems with the SU - as far as I can tell people like the SU and what the do - I don't know the 'inside information' if you like, but they organised an excellent freshers week and events, there are lots of societies to suit almost any taste, most of which are listed on the SU website if anyone's bothered to look, and I get facebook messages through from societies I'm members of as well as the general SU societies group at least four times a week with lots of different events and socials that they have organised for the week.

I've heard it's not very political, but frankly that doesn't bother me in the slightest... There are others here who have been here longer that will know more than me, however :rolleyes:
    Nah, that's great thanks

Would you recommend it then?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm not sure where you heard that...Nottingham has a very active SU. There are loads of socs to join, they organise loads of activities etc...I think when people come here, they think Notts is a party uni as there's always something going on..

ReputationRep:
    Nah, that's great thanks

Would you recommend it then?
    The 'The Dark Side' post amongst others will give you an idea of life here - personally I love it here and have so many going out options each night for various societies that I have so far always missed the Hide and Soc (Hide and Seek society) meets and socials on Thursdays, for example...

I think the SU is very good, someone might come along and say otherwise but my dealings with them have been minimal but very good on the occasions that I have, and I personally know of nobody that has anything bad to say about them as yet :confused:

As for comments of "I've heard it's crap too", that's frankly tripe, cos you simply cant know unless you study here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    and why would i plan on getting saved?
    I dunno, maybe you're a Christian.

You're boring me, go and play with some matches or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    The 'The Dark Side' post amongst others will give you an idea of life here - personally I love it here and have so many going out options each night for various societies that I have so far always missed the Hide and Soc (Hide and Seek society) meets and socials on Thursdays, for example...

I think the SU is very good, someone might come along and say otherwise but my dealings with them have been minimal but very good on the occasions that I have, and I personally know of nobody that has anything bad to say about them as yet :confused:

As for comments of "I've heard it's crap too", that's frankly tripe, cos you simply cant know unless you study here
    That's what was annoying me too :P

And from what you've said it sounds pretty cool, thanks for the responses, I really appreciate them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Trampa)
    I'm not sure where you heard that...Nottingham has a very active SU. There are loads of socs to join, they organise loads of activities etc...I think when people come here, they think Notts is a party uni as there's always something going on..
    http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/unive...3756/page.html

That's one of the sources I heard it from. Also from my sister's friends (who go there) and a couple of forums.

It's a gorgeous building though, I have to admit.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Mooch (the main SU bar) quite a few times - with regards to that I would say that the food is very good, big portions as well and quite cheap compared to restaurants - the drinks aren't too expensive and although it's probably not the best place ever to go and have a night out, it's sufficient to have drink with some mates. In Nottingham, the town is so good that staying on campus for a night out is a bit pointless, especially if you're on Jubilee Campus as we have a bar downstairs that serves that purpose...

ReputationRep:
    After doing some quick research on the net, it seems the main criticisms lobbied against the SU are a lack of a proper live music venue and that the bar is a bit crap.

Can anyone either falsify or back up these claims?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You're comparing...say 20 'not so great' reviews out of 60 students out of the...approx 33,000 students at the uni...plus the fact that some of those reviews are based on 'the ark' which wasn't that bad to be honest. The SU as a political/student body is very active. they're always campaigning for stuff and they have a very committed committee. The SU in term of social life is also very active. I honestly don't think I've ever heard a Notts student say that the SU is crap or that they're not active enough or there aren't enough societies to join.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I think the venue has live music now and the bars are definitely not crap. Plus if we're counting live music...Notts holds one of the biggest student festivals every year on the downs.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.