The Student Room Group

Do Advanced Higher grades matter for Uni?

Hello!!
I'm wanting to do a masters in mechanical engineering at uni.
I got 5A's at higher and I'm wondering whether my AH grades will matter this year. I'm only sitting at C's etc rn with my predicted being B's.
I'm asking this becaus we have to submit our target grades for AH for UCAS.
(edited 1 year ago)
Are you applying to any English unis? If not then you don't need Advanced Highers unless you're applying for advanced entry.
Original post by Higherkid
Hello!!
I'm wanting to do a masters in mechanical engineering at uni.
I got 5A's at higher and I'm wondering whether my AH grades will matter this year. I'm only sitting at C's etc rn with my predicted being B's.
I'm asking this becaus we have to submit our target grades for AH for UCAS.

Hey @Higherkid :biggrin: Well done on your Higher grades! They're brill :smile:
What do the entry requirements for your chosen courses say? Sometimes universities will ask for Advanced Highers at a particular grade, and others may not require them at all. Others may 'recommend' Advanced Highers (as is the case at Strathclyde), meaning we prefer to see that applicants are studying them and can cope with the course material, but that we don't require them at a particular grade.

There's a big value in studying AHs so yes I'd say they matter, particularly for subjects like Engineering where AH Maths and Physics will set you up really well for university life. Even if you don't need to achieve a certain grade in them, it's still great to have them and to keep working on them in S6.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
I had 5As at Higher (maths, physics, chemistry, English and French). I got unconditional offers for MEng Mech Engineering at Strathclyde, Glasgow and Edinburgh last year so you'll probably be OK (although I was widening access as low progression school, not sure if or how much that contributed). I can't remember having to submit predicted grades for S6 subject which is just as well as got As for my two crash highers but my two AH were poor. But they were still worth studying as a lot of the maths and physics has been repeated in my first semsester this year.

Friends who got conditional offers (not just for engineering) were asked to get either another A at Higher or B at AH. Offers for me came through from Glasgow and Edinburgh in mid Jan and mid Feb respectively, but Strathclyde wasn't until mid March. So you really need to keep the studying up until you know your offer.

Remember you can apply for BEng at both Glasgow and Strathclyde and move to MEng if you have the grades in 2/3rd year of uni. Also if you start in MEng and don't keep up the grades you will be moved to BEng. I applied for MENG, but as I was very keen to go to Strathclyde I also applied to Strathclyde Engineering Academy as a back up incase I didnt get the offer I really wanted (got offer for that in December). The engineering academy is an enhanced HNC and if you pass you get direct entry to 2nd year BEng, then you can move to MEng if you get the grades. I spoke to a Unibuddy student who was on the last year of his MEng via that path and recommended it as an option based on their experience.

Quick Reply

Latest