The Student Room Group

Studying/revision in general

Hi everyone,
I’m a year 12 student doing biology chemistry and maths. I’m finding chem and maths pretty difficult but I know the content for biology is going to be difficult to memorise going forward. Does anyone have advice for me, and any revision strategies that worked for them in these subjects? Also I want to do medicine, if you have advice with how to prepare for UCAT/BMAT, work experience etc. that would be amazing :smile:
Bio: Content is hard sure, but from my personal experience its exam questions and its hard for most people to get around that later on best thing to do is to do exam questions like crazy

Chem: Revise content, and some exam technique i honestly don't do much cause I found it easy so hopefully someone else can help.

Maths: Do the topic questions after the lesson, only the exam or practise questions marked in the book, if you don't have enough time or are finding it easy (if doing edexcel i don't know what the other textbooks are like) if you get hard questions then ask your teacher.

Bio and Chem mainly come down to memorising content then practising exam question like crazy
Maths is the same but overtime it becomes one of the low maintance subjects since is not that complicated to revise

BMAT/UCAT: buy a book, do the questions about a month (UCAT) or two before the actual exam. I didn't do the UCAT, some friends did and they practically did that and got a decent score, I did the BMAT started revising a month before for 2 hours almost each day which was overkill and i would have to do it if i didn't start so late. I got a good BMAT score cause I completed the entire book, then past papers.

Work experience: don't worry if you cant get medical work experience (i worked in a charity shop for 6 months before I got to do work experience at a nursing home, both were great experiences), any should be fine, you would just have to describe how this helped you to gain qualities needed to be a good medic
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bigplongus
Bio: Content is hard sure, but from my personal experience its exam questions and its hard for most people to get around that later on best thing to do is to do exam questions like crazy

Chem: Revise content, and some exam technique i honestly don't do much cause I found it easy so hopefully someone else can help.

Maths: Do the topic questions after the lesson, only the exam or practise questions marked in the book, if you don't have enough time or are finding it easy (if doing edexcel i don't know what the other textbooks are like) if you get hard questions then ask your teacher.

Bio and Chem mainly come down to memorising content then practising exam question like crazy
Maths is the same but overtime it becomes one of the low maintance subjects since is not that complicated to revise

BMAT/UCAT: buy a book, do the questions about a month (UCAT) or two before the actual exam. I didn't do the UCAT, some friends did and they practically did that and got a decent score, I did the BMAT started revising a month before for 2 hours almost each day which was overkill and i would have to do it if i didn't start so late. I got a good BMAT score cause I completed the entire book, then past papers.

Work experience: don't worry if you cant get medical work experience (i worked in a charity shop for 6 months before I got to do work experience at a nursing home, both were great experiences), any should be fine, you would just have to describe how this helped you to gain qualities needed to be a good medic

Thanks so much! If you don’t mind me asking which grades did you end up getting? And what unis did you apply to? I have no clue with where to start with those :/
i am in yr 13, so dont have my grades but predicted AAA which is standard for med students anyhow

i applied to 3 unis next to me so i dont wanna say them

I wouldnt follow my application choices anyhow i wasnt gonna apply this yr but ended up doing so last minute thats why i only did the BMAT but if your interested
i applied for medicine(both pending), pharmacy(offer), Psychology(offer) and medical engineering(pending)
Original post by bigplongus
i am in yr 13, so dont have my grades but predicted AAA which is standard for med students anyhow

i applied to 3 unis next to me so i dont wanna say them

I wouldnt follow my application choices anyhow i wasnt gonna apply this yr but ended up doing so last minute thats why i only did the BMAT but if your interested
i applied for medicine(both pending), pharmacy(offer), Psychology(offer) and medical engineering(pending)

Ohhh I assumed it would have been like how everyone picks four med schools and then one other but that’s cool, what do you think you’ll pick if you get all your offers?
Original post by maahipatel._
Ohhh I assumed it would have been like how everyone picks four med schools and then one other but that’s cool, what do you think you’ll pick if you get all your offers?

medicine but if i get no offers then pharmacy
Original post by maahipatel._
Hi everyone,
I’m a year 12 student doing biology chemistry and maths. I’m finding chem and maths pretty difficult but I know the content for biology is going to be difficult to memorise going forward. Does anyone have advice for me, and any revision strategies that worked for them in these subjects? Also I want to do medicine, if you have advice with how to prepare for UCAT/BMAT, work experience etc. that would be amazing :smile:

Heya!
I also did bio,chem and maths :h: For chem and bio I would recommend doing them slowly topic by topic. Make flashcards, mind maps, and revision notes for each chapter. After you are done with 1 chapter, do practice questions to see whether you understood the content. If you get some questions wrong, revisit the content and see why you got them wrong. Move on to the next topic after you are more confident about the topic. Study Mind offers free bio and chem past papers and revision notes all done by topic to help you out. Once you feel confident about the topic, move on to the next one.

I would say the same goes with maths (but focus more on practising). I managed to boost my marks from 70s to 90s by practising maths papers by topic in just 1 months :h: Physics and maths offer free maths papers you could find useful!

For UCAT and BMAT, check out Medic Mind for all the info and resources you will need to ace your admissions test!

I hope this helps and good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I also did bio,chem and maths :h: For chem and bio I would recommend doing them slowly topic by topic. Make flashcards, mind maps, and revision notes for each chapter. After you are done with 1 chapter, do practice questions to see whether you understood the content. If you get some questions wrong, revisit the content and see why you got them wrong. Move on to the next topic after you are more confident about the topic. Study Mind offers free bio and chem past papers and revision notes all done by topic to help you out. Once you feel confident about the topic, move on to the next one.

I would say the same goes with maths (but focus more on practising). I managed to boost my marks from 70s to 90s by practising maths papers by topic in just 1 months :h: Physics and maths offer free maths papers you could find useful!

For UCAT and BMAT, check out Medic Mind for all the info and resources you will need to ace your admissions test!

I hope this helps and good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Amazing thanks a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest