Office 2007: "A File Error Has Occurred" Can't save as .docx! Watch

Redemption
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've had this problem for a long time. It comes and goes. Sometimes I can write endless pieces without any problem, but recently it's got a lot worse.

Whenever I write a piece in word 2007 and use the equation editor, I then click "Save", and it tells me.

Microsoft Office Word
<!> A file error has occurred.
(c:\users\me\Documents\...\docum ent.docx)
<OK>

If I click save as, choose a name, select .docx, the save window closes, the save bar progresses about a third of the way through, and then the Save As window pops up again asking me for a name and a format. I can do this any number of times. When it goes through this process, it saves a 0kb file with my file name and the correct format, with nothing in it. "Economics C181 Problem Set 4.docx (0kb)".

However, I can save it just fine if I use the up to 2003 format, .doc. It will convert the equations to images, and then save fine. I can even open this file again, and click "Convert", to edit the equations, but I cannot save the file as a docx.

I have tried copying everything to another document and saving. Restarting word. Restarting the computer. Anything, but I'm afraid to say I'm stumped. The only Google queries I can find deal with a discussion thread on the Microsoft communities website that was never answered by anyone.

Any help?
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know this isn't solving the problem, but could you write the equations in another piece of software and then bring them into word as an image or something? And then you could just save it as a 2003 .doc?
It might help in the short term, if you need the document finished soon?
Talon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Whats wrong with saving it in the 2003 format?
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Talon)
Whats wrong with saving it in the 2003 format?
i think it doesn't seem to save the equations that he's performed. it turns them to images :confused:
alexsheppard11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
try reinstalling office
Redemption
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by rmyl)
i think it doesn't seem to save the equations that he's performed. it turns them to images :confused:
This is correct. I the short term, I'm fine - I can save and print as 2003, or print as 2007 and save as 2003. It's just dangerous cos I have to manually save it every 10mins and so on.
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When it saves them as images, are they useful images? (i.e. of the equations you're trying to do) or gobble-di-guuk.
I'm just curious, not that it'll help you! :-p sorry hehe
vadrouille
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I do have Exactly the same probable but with an SPD document including numerous chapters, illustrations and so on.
As a result if i save it as a .doc file I lose the opportunity to update the file automaticaly.

Any idea ? Did you sort the problem out ?
spikeymike
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexsheppard11)
try reinstalling office
This.
vadrouille
Report 9 years ago
Thank you very much,

But .. erm... but for this I will have to close my document hence i'll have to save it first and lose my content...
Anything else ?
alexsheppard11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vadrouille)
Thank you very much,

But .. erm... but for this I will have to close my document hence i'll have to save it first and lose my content...
Anything else ?
urm, you could press print screen or print it out.
Darkness123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vadrouille)
Thank you very much,

Anything else ?
You can copy and paste the document into Notepad or Wordpad.
AWSLC
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Redemption)
I've had this problem for a long time. It comes and goes. Sometimes I can write endless pieces without any problem, but recently it's got a lot worse.

Whenever I write a piece in word 2007 and use the equation editor, I then click "Save", and it tells me.

Microsoft Office Word
<!> A file error has occurred.
(c:\users\me\Documents\...\docum ent.docx)
<OK>

If I click save as, choose a name, select .docx, the save window closes, the save bar progresses about a third of the way through, and then the Save As window pops up again asking me for a name and a format. I can do this any number of times. When it goes through this process, it saves a 0kb file with my file name and the correct format, with nothing in it. "Economics C181 Problem Set 4.docx (0kb)".

However, I can save it just fine if I use the up to 2003 format, .doc. It will convert the equations to images, and then save fine. I can even open this file again, and click "Convert", to edit the equations, but I cannot save the file as a docx.

I have tried copying everything to another document and saving. Restarting word. Restarting the computer. Anything, but I'm afraid to say I'm stumped. The only Google queries I can find deal with a discussion thread on the Microsoft communities website that was never answered by anyone.

Any help?
Have you tried selecting this option:

Attached files
vadrouille
Report 9 years ago
I just tried it does not work... I don't know why.
I am the only person working on this doc, I use a few of the features of the .docx stuff like the table of content, table of illustrations and so.
I did not make any kind of modifications using the specialized tool.
Furthermore I tried to save it on an external hard drive, Usb key and so on and I cannot save it in docx. Which means that i'm losing half of the work i've done on it... Transfering to another program, makes it lose those beloved features...

Update
Anyway, two seconds ago, I created a .docx file I saved on another hard drive, copied and pasted my work and... It got saved...

Problem solved. I don't know if this trick is responsible for it but it worked...

Thank you all, for your time, humor and patience.
Have a nice evening!
wimps1
Report 9 years ago
Hi I have this same problem, as i have a lot of equations in my document.

I managed to solve it by saving my document as a macro enabled file.

I dont no if this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise