The Student Room Group

What A levels should I choose for Dentistry?

I want to do A levels at college. I will do Biology and Chemistry for Dentistry, however I do not want to do Maths or Physics.
I looked at various A levels, and I really liked the following for my third A level: Economics, Sociology, Psychology, Textiles and Criminology.
Which A levels would be the best for Dentistry, alongside Chemistry and Biology?
Hi, I have applied to Dent this Yr, and I do Bio,Chem and Maths. As long as you have Bio and Chem you are good for more a less all dental schools. For your third simply pick something you think you will enjoy the most and can get at least an A in, as there is no better A-Level to take (as long as it isn’t general studies or critical thinking). A-Levels are hardwork and they can be even harder if you don’t like what you’re doing. Maybe watch videos on YouTube about people’s experiences of different subjects, read the specifications or go to like a taster lesson to be able to see with suits you. Again always double check what each university says on their websites, as my advice is quite general. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MsBobatea123
Hi, I have applied to Dent this Yr, and I do Bio,Chem and Maths. As long as you have Bio and Chem you are good for more a less all dental schools. For your third simply pick something you think you will enjoy the most and can get at least an A in, as there is no better A-Level to take (as long as it isn’t general studies or critical thinking). A-Levels are hardwork and they can be even harder if you don’t like what you’re doing. Maybe watch videos on YouTube about people’s experiences of different subjects, read the specifications or go to like a taster lesson to be able to see with suits you. Again always double check what each university says on their websites, as my advice is quite general. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks a lot. It really helps!😁😁
Original post by RedFox58
I want to do A levels at college. I will do Biology and Chemistry for Dentistry, however I do not want to do Maths or Physics.
I looked at various A levels, and I really liked the following for my third A level: Economics, Sociology, Psychology, Textiles and Criminology.
Which A levels would be the best for Dentistry, alongside Chemistry and Biology?

Heya!
I would recommend on checking entry requirements on universities pages and comparing them :h: You can do that on unicompare if it helps. I think you should be good with chem and bio but do check what 3rd subjects are typically stated on unis. If it's nothing specific then you are free to select anything you want!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 4
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend on checking entry requirements on universities pages and comparing them :h: You can do that on unicompare if it helps. I think you should be good with chem and bio but do check what 3rd subjects are typically stated on unis. If it's nothing specific then you are free to select anything you want!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thanks a lot😁😁
Original post by RedFox58

So I reckon it goes without saying Chem and Bio are pretty much a requirement for Dentistry, obviously maths and physics tick the most boxes, but there are several others that work.

For instance, for some of my friends doing medicine (which has pretty much identical requirements), RS has been very useful, so I suspect Psychology would be a good choice. It's an essay-based subject (mostly), and requires you to think about different arguments from different ethical perspectives which helps with decision making, ethical issues etc. - also lets you learn a lot more about the world outside of the traditional sciences.

Hope this helps :smile:

Textiles is kinda OK in terms of manual dexterity, but I'd caution against doing it as some unis may not accept it.
Everyone I know hates doing Econ so draw your own conclusions.
Reply 6
Original post by Ionomer
So I reckon it goes without saying Chem and Bio are pretty much a requirement for Dentistry, obviously maths and physics tick the most boxes, but there are several others that work.

For instance, for some of my friends doing medicine (which has pretty much identical requirements), RS has been very useful, so I suspect Psychology would be a good choice. It's an essay-based subject (mostly), and requires you to think about different arguments from different ethical perspectives which helps with decision making, ethical issues etc. - also lets you learn a lot more about the world outside of the traditional sciences.

Hope this helps :smile:

Textiles is kinda OK in terms of manual dexterity, but I'd caution against doing it as some unis may not accept it.
Everyone I know hates doing Econ so draw your own conclusions.

Thanks, it really helps😃😃

Quick Reply

Latest