The Student Room Group

Gym

hi so the past 2-3 years I’ve been trying to lose weight. right now I want to start exercising more as I need to add exercise to my daily routine to help me lose more weight , i love but I can’t go on walks as it’s way too cold and I freeze really badly. I want to sign up for gym, but I have really bad anxiety I have signed up to gym before but not been consistent I just end up sitting in changing rooms to avoid the business and I always end up cancelling my membership due to my severe anxiety , I live in a very small town so everyone uses this gym I see all the local people- everyone I used to go school with, mutual friends etc. I could try going gym before 8am because I genuinely don’t think that many people will be at the gym before 8am especially on weekdays but still I get bad anxiety some times I’m scared people will laugh at me or talk about me to their frisnds . I am sort of chubby and short and not someone that’s social. And I’m also have a fear of failure I’m worried that I won’t see progress within 1-2 months
Original post by Anonymous
hi so the past 2-3 years I’ve been trying to lose weight. right now I want to start exercising more as I need to add exercise to my daily routine to help me lose more weight , i love but I can’t go on walks as it’s way too cold and I freeze really badly. I want to sign up for gym, but I have really bad anxiety I have signed up to gym before but not been consistent I just end up sitting in changing rooms to avoid the business and I always end up cancelling my membership due to my severe anxiety , I live in a very small town so everyone uses this gym I see all the local people- everyone I used to go school with, mutual friends etc. I could try going gym before 8am because I genuinely don’t think that many people will be at the gym before 8am especially on weekdays but still I get bad anxiety some times I’m scared people will laugh at me or talk about me to their frisnds . I am sort of chubby and short and not someone that’s social. And I’m also have a fear of failure I’m worried that I won’t see progress within 1-2 months

Hi,

Honestly, you'll be very surprised at just how busy gyms can be first thing in the morning (e.g. 0630-0700hrs)... lots of people like to get sessions in very early to wake themselves up and get their brains in first gear for work etc. Obviously they're also busy between around 1630-2000hrs as people often like to exercise after work.

If you're really self-conscious, remember there are some gyms (e.g. PureGym) that are open 24 hours, so if you went at a ridiculously anti-social time, you'll have the place pretty much to yourself. Alternatively, if you don't have that option, then the quieter times tend to be mid morning (e.g. 1000-1100hrs) or early afternoon (circa 1400-1500hrs).

I'm not sure how bad your figure is, but you'll be very very surprised at just the sheer variety of body shapes you'll see at the gym. It wouldn't surprise me if there are people there who are in way worse shape than you are. Most people are too focused on their own workout to be judgmental about other people there... besides, even the beefcake with the massive guns and washboard abs had to start his journey at some point. Moreover, if they're truly your friends, they'll be thinking "fair play" to you for taking responsibility of your health / wellbeing rather than pointing and laughing.

If you do go, I would recommend you start going as soon as possible. If you start going this month, the gym is likely to be quiet (it's generally quiet around the festive period, and obviously with the World Cup, it means they're likely to be quieter than usual). If you wait until the new year, January the gym will be absolutely rammed with newbies (e.g. New Years resolutions; people detoxing after Christmas indulgence etc.), but gradually tails off towards the end / February.

To help you stay focused and motivated, why not start a blog documenting your journey? You could do it on here (in the health / fitness section obvs) and I'm sure you'll get lots of support and encouragement (may even pick up a few handy training tips lol).
(edited 1 year ago)
Going to the gym shouldn't be your first point of call to lose weight. I've gone from 75kg to 66kg (still a tiny bit chubby but healthy at least). You could do what I did by eating with no change, except you only have two instead of three meals per day, I strongly recommend it. You'll eventually see some results, don't go on long fasts as you'll likely return to your older habits. Social anxiety does wear out over time once you've reinforced to your brain that people don't really care. See how this goes for a month to see how consistent/easy it is for you. Don't worry too much about calories, that mostly depends on what foods you eat. 100 calories of protein won't gain as much body fat as 100 calories of carbohydrates.

People always say "hit the gym" if you want to lose weight but two hours on the rowing machine didn't help me much, you don't really burn fat from exercise. I'd only recommend it if you want to look muscular and lean.

Also, when it comes to weight loss advice, don't look at news articles or anything like that. Blogs are your way to go, especially those who are honest.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
Going to the gym shouldn't be your first point of call to lose weight. I've gone from 75kg to 66kg (still a tiny bit chubby but healthy at least). You could do what I did by eating with no change, except you only have two instead of three meals per day, I strongly recommend it. You'll eventually see some results, don't go on long fasts as you'll likely return to your older habits. Social anxiety does wear out over time once you've reinforced to your brain that people don't really care. See how this goes for a month to see how consistent/easy it is for you. Don't worry too much about calories, that mostly depends on what foods you eat. 100 calories of protein won't gain as much body fat as 100 calories of carbohydrates.

People always say "hit the gym" if you want to lose weight but two hours on the rowing machine didn't help me much, you don't really burn fat from exercise. I'd only recommend it if you want to look muscular and lean.

Also, when it comes to weight loss advice, don't look at news articles or anything like that. Blogs are your way to go, especially those who are honest.

Thank you, yes I agree it’s just I am 4’11 lol so I have to put it even more work than an average height person to lose weight. I wanted to do weight lifting . Yeah I am fixing my diet I eat 2-3 meals daily , thank you
You could do what I did by eating with no change, except you only have two instead of three meals per day, I strongly recommend it.

I am not a dietician or a gym rat, but I feel the need to point out that this is really dangerous advice. Why are you "strongly recommending" restrictive eating?
Original post by Serene Dreams
I am not a dietician or a gym rat, but I feel the need to point out that this is really dangerous advice. Why are you "strongly recommending" restrictive eating?

OMAD (one meal a day) is popular and recommended, there's even online communities about it so it's not dangerous at all. Two meals a day has worked well for me, and I never feel hungry most of the time. Just because the NHS tells you to eat three times doesn't mean you should.
OMAD (one meal a day) is popular and recommended, there's even online communities about it so it's not dangerous at all. Two meals a day has worked well for me, and I never feel hungry most of the time. Just because the NHS tells you to eat three times doesn't mean you should.

There's online communities also recommending eating raw meet so by your logic that's not dangerous as well?

Sure, two meals are probably enough for some people and clearly it's working for you. However, everyone's dietary needs are different depending on their activity level, age and other factors. So to recommend this one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition is unhelpful.
Original post by Serene Dreams
There's online communities also recommending eating raw meet so by your logic that's not dangerous as well?

Sure, two meals are probably enough for some people and clearly it's working for you. However, everyone's dietary needs are different depending on their activity level, age and other factors. So to recommend this one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition is unhelpful.

That's why I told the OP to see how it goes.
You can always workout at home i.e. calisthenics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending