The Student Room Group

Changing A-Levels (Y12) - Sociology + Medicine???

Hi all,

I want to change my a-level choices. I'm in Y12 and studying Biology,Chemistry and Maths. I'm really struggling with maths and am an apiring medical applicant. I want to change to some other subject like Sociology and my school will allow me start this new subject in the Spring Term - how could I catch up with 3 months of content and is this advisable.

Do med schools accept a level sociology
yep u just need bio and chem unless ur applying for cambridge so dw!
Original post by ella.ab
yep u just need bio and chem unless ur applying for cambridge so dw!

Do you think i will be able to catch up on 3 months of work over the 3 week christmas holiday I get or would i rather stick with maths but then have a higher likelehood of getting a B in comparison to maybe am A if i do sociology and med schools want AAA.

Its just the catching up you see:frown:
I think it depends on your own skillset, and what you personally believe you will get a better grade in. All you need is bio and chem, so the third subject you take doesn't really matter, what matters is getting the grades.
Third A level - the majority od Med School dont care. They just want an A grade.
Original post by alevelstudentx8
Hi all,

I want to change my a-level choices. I'm in Y12 and studying Biology,Chemistry and Maths. I'm really struggling with maths and am an apiring medical applicant. I want to change to some other subject like Sociology and my school will allow me start this new subject in the Spring Term - how could I catch up with 3 months of content and is this advisable.

Do med schools accept a level sociology

Since you're in y12 I don't think it'll be that bad to play catch up. You could ask the teachers for an afterschool session or some help over lunch/break and if you're committed enough I don't see why not. It's important to note that it's not just 3 months you need to catch up on though; it'll be all the new content you're learning throughout the next few weeks not just including sociology so if you think you can do it then by all means sure. From my experience though, chemistry shouldn't be difficult in year 12 when catching up on content and for biology there are so many good resources out there online that you'd be able to teach the whole specification to yourself if you wanted to in a few months lol
Has anyone done a-level sociology and how i could catch up?
I do think it’s possible to catch up over 3 weeks. I recommend printing the a level sociology specification, borrowing a sociology textbook from school and making notes using the specification and textbook as a guide. Sociology is an a level that compared to others isn’t too difficult. u could also do seneca learning questions online on the content. I think it’s definitely possible. don’t be disheartened by the catching up, it’s better to spend a couple hours a day over xmas catching up rather than being stuck with a subject which you don’t want to continue with. hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest