The Student Room Group

Access to HE Diploma (Science)

Help to get started on Unit 4, stuck on how to start! I have made it up to Unit 4 and each unit I have completed so far had to be resubmitted! Every time I get a feedback to resubmit, it knocks my confidence to carry on to the next unit. I am doing an online Access HE due to personal commitments, which is making it very hard as I am back to learning after more that 15 years!
Any advice on to get the unit started will be very much appreciated!
Reply 1
Hi, whats the topic?
Reply 2
Original post by Aufbau
Hi, whats the topic?

[You are required to produce an assignment plan that will support you when writing an illustrated report for your unit 5 assignment.

You do not need to write the report for this unit you only need to produce an assignment plan.

Your assignment plan needs to be as structured and detailed as possible so that you can use it when completing unit 5.]

I am doing Access to HE: Science and this is how the Unit 4 - Preparing a written assignment question is worded.
Original post by a07_a21
[You are required to produce an assignment plan that will support you when writing an illustrated report for your unit 5 assignment.

You do not need to write the report for this unit you only need to produce an assignment plan.

Your assignment plan needs to be as structured and detailed as possible so that you can use it when completing unit 5.]

I am doing Access to HE: Science and this is how the Unit 4 - Preparing a written assignment question is worded.

Hi! Im doing a biochemical route of the science course, there's a great website StuDocu that people use to upload their completed work so you can use it as a reference, there are lots of examples for Access to HE units and its great to see how other people did the assessments so you know what to include etc.
My course specified that they wanted us to do Unit 4 as a timetable plan, see if there is any detailed guidance on how your provider wants it done but the way I did it was to make a table of the month and a bit that I was planning to complete unit 5 in, and break down what I would need to do for the unit and assignment each day. I did get feedback that it was basic and could have had more detail but I met the criteria and passed. If you need any more help just let me know!
Reply 4
Original post by Crunchie_Butt
Hi! Im doing a biochemical route of the science course, there's a great website StuDocu that people use to upload their completed work so you can use it as a reference, there are lots of examples for Access to HE units and its great to see how other people did the assessments so you know what to include etc.
My course specified that they wanted us to do Unit 4 as a timetable plan, see if there is any detailed guidance on how your provider wants it done but the way I did it was to make a table of the month and a bit that I was planning to complete unit 5 in, and break down what I would need to do for the unit and assignment each day. I did get feedback that it was basic and could have had more detail but I met the criteria and passed. If you need any more help just let me know!

Hi, thanks for the advice! I will check the website out and hopefully get an idea of how I could start this particular assignment.
In the assessor's guidance notes section, there is a template of 'Month-at-a-glance' calendar which I am assuming is how long they want the timetable?
Did you have a detailed timetable like you when you are having meals or having a rest or just the number of hours you are going to study for each day?
Original post by a07_a21
Hi, thanks for the advice! I will check the website out and hopefully get an idea of how I could start this particular assignment.
In the assessor's guidance notes section, there is a template of 'Month-at-a-glance' calendar which I am assuming is how long they want the timetable?
Did you have a detailed timetable like you when you are having meals or having a rest or just the number of hours you are going to study for each day?

I honestly didn't even put number of hours which is probably why I was told that I could have had more detail! All I wrote was that over these days I will be reading the materials and making notes, then on this day I will write the introduction which is meant to be x amount of words etc. Make sure you specify when you will submit the draft and edit it and stuff because they really want to make sure you have enough time for that kind of stuff. But if you do all that and add in hours of study like you suggested you should probably be good to go! And if you are really unsure and your provider allows it, send a draft of the timetable to the tutor/assessor and see what they think.
Reply 6
I honestly didn't even put number of hours which is probably why I was told that I could have had more detail! All I wrote was that over these days I will be reading the materials and making notes, then on this day I will write the introduction which is meant to be x amount of words etc. Make sure you specify when you will submit the draft and edit it and stuff because they really want to make sure you have enough time for that kind of stuff. But if you do all that and add in hours of study like you suggested you should probably be good to go! And if you are really unsure and your provider allows it, send a draft of the timetable to the tutor/assessor and see what they think.

Thank you for your advice! I have sent in my draft, so hopefully I have written the assignment according to the assessment criteria and I do not have much to tweak in my feedback.
I am dreading Unit 5 already which is the start of graded units!
Original post by a07_a21
Thank you for your advice! I have sent in my draft, so hopefully I have written the assignment according to the assessment criteria and I do not have much to tweak in my feedback.
I am dreading Unit 5 already which is the start of graded units!

Good luck! is your Unit 5 the long report? mine was ungraded which was nice
Reply 8
Good luck! is your Unit 5 the long report? mine was ungraded which was nice

sorry about the late reply... I have lost the mojo to get back on track with my learning and my unit 5 is due in 8 days including today! I have read the study materials and I am suppose to research and write an assignment of 4000 words up but I am at a standstill!
My Unit 4 was graded pass, thank goodness!
Are you applying to go to Uni in September 2023?
Original post by a07_a21
sorry about the late reply... I have lost the mojo to get back on track with my learning and my unit 5 is due in 8 days including today! I have read the study materials and I am suppose to research and write an assignment of 4000 words up but I am at a standstill!
My Unit 4 was graded pass, thank goodness!
Are you applying to go to Uni in September 2023?

Oh I completely understand that, I really hope you manage to finish in time!! Have you written anything for it yet or just read through the materials? I've been finding the best way for me to do the long reports is to make a word doc with all the headings for each section and go through the materials just writing bullet points for the things I think I need to include. Then go back and make it full sentences, add a bit more detail etc. And this way I don't really do extra research in one big chunk, I just think 'oh maybe there's some fact or figure that could go here, let me find some random article that gives me that' and then you have a reference!
If you need more help feel free to DM me, might be easier to give detailed answers there.
And yeah I've sent off my application already, I've had a few offers back but still waiting for my top two choices which is frustrating!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending