The Student Room Group

Is Pharmacy a good career choice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by randomsheep11
Hiya :smile: sorry I think I didn't explain what I was trying to say very well. Basically in hospital the pay is much more standardised, but in community different branches and independents can vary in pay a bit more. In the areas I'm applying for, there's lots of independents which offer band 7 roles (without being manager roles or having the clinical diploma). So if you want to earn high straight out of your foundation year, working in community can be better in that regard, whilst hospital pharmacists have to complete additional training to be a band 7 clinical pharmacist.

What kind of practical work do you do in a pharmacy degree?
Original post by Exciting95135
Hi again quasa, i dont know if you remember me back in August when i was asking whether to do pharmacy or biomedical science and ultimately ended up taking a gap year to pursue medicine again.

I have three interviews for Medicine, however i understand how hard interview for medicine is and have the same question as i did four months ago. Which career do you think is better for me to get into? If I do unfortunately fail to get into medicine this year i will definitely do my 5th option.

Hey, I remember speaking with you vaguely (will need to read my history to remember everything). Congrats on getting 3 med school interviews. I definitely think a medicine degree sets you up for life - regardless of whether you want to work in medicine or not. A lot of med school graduates these days from Russell group unis are going into consulting and tech straight out of uni. I'd say if you don't get into med school, a degree in compsci or pharmacy would be a good alternative
Original post by NeverKnowsBest
Hello

I am currently applying for university. I've already written a personal statement for Pharmacy courses, but I've found that a lot of people say the course doesn't have very good career prospects, and that other courses, such as Optometry, are better in this regard. The actual content of the Pharmacy course interests me, and I think working as a hospital pharmacist would be interesting, but I don't want to spend lots of money and time on a degree that could be better spent on another.

Same situation with you. So will you stick to pharmacy or switch to another course?
Original post by quasa
Hey, I remember speaking with you vaguely (will need to read my history to remember everything). Congrats on getting 3 med school interviews. I definitely think a medicine degree sets you up for life - regardless of whether you want to work in medicine or not. A lot of med school graduates these days from Russell group unis are going into consulting and tech straight out of uni. I'd say if you don't get into med school, a degree in compsci or pharmacy would be a good alternative

Yes, learn to code if you can. or learn Mandarin. China will probably be the biggest economy by 2030/40. And India the most populated country.
Other growth areas are going to be things like the clean energy sector, electric vehicles, so battery tech, plus genetics and genomics, pharmacogenomics, crypto software uses, etc.
Have a look at Cathie Wood's ARKK investment ETF. She is very focused on around 5 areas that she thinks will perform well and grow over the next ten to 20 yrs. Those might possibly be the areas to think about what degree you will need for them.

" Cathie Wood founded Ark Invest with the sole purpose of investing in disruptive technologies. This investment management firm focuses on sectors such as DNA sequencing, artificial intelligence, gene editing, electric vehicles, robotics, energy storage, fintech, blockchain technology, and 3D printing amongst others. Ark Invest also invests in cryptocurrencies when high potential opportunities present themselves ." -- taken from CathieWoodstocks.com.
(edited 1 year ago)
The Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS) has released its fourth annual workforce wellbeing survey, which reveals that soaring numbers in the pharmacy workforce are considering leaving their job. Worth looking at the article in this weeks Chemist and Druggist reporting on this survey. Free to view.

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/CD136685/Threequarters-of-pharmacy-workforce-considering-quitting-finds-RPS-survey
Original post by shelestkaterina
Pharmacists play an important role in patient care by advising on the correct use of medications, identifying and resolving potential drug interactions, and providing education on the proper use of prescription medications. Additionally, pharmacists can work in a variety of settings, such as retail, hospital, and community pharmacies.

In terms of building an NFT community, pharmacists can take advantage of blockchain technology to streamline the medication distribution process and ensure the safety and efficacy of all medications. This could involve creating a blockchain-based platform for secure, real-time communication between healthcare professionals, pharmacies, and patients. Additionally, pharmacists can use blockchain technology to securely store and exchange patient medical records and medication information, as well as to manage the supply chain of medications.

Not sure about your knowledge of pharmacy and crypto but community and retail are the exact same thing. Also we advise on otc stuff and provide way more clinical services.

Also nobody is investing in nfts or crypto anymore due to volatility of market place and environmental impact. Cryptos have tanked very hard and nobody prints nfts these days. Market may change in future but it has tanked hard / nobody is going near nfts or crypto atm
Dagnammit, locum rates are decreasing rapidly again. What was £45-£50/ hour a couple of weeks ago is now down to £30-£35 again and London rates are in the mid-high twenties. Should be interesting to see how pay is
Original post by NeverKnowsBest
Hello

I am currently applying for university. I've already written a personal statement for Pharmacy courses, but I've found that a lot of people say the course doesn't have very good career prospects, and that other courses, such as Optometry, are better in this regard. The actual content of the Pharmacy course interests me, and I think working as a hospital pharmacist would be interesting, but I don't want to spend lots of money and time on a degree that could be better spent on another.

I would say if you're already having doubt about the career thus is not the path for you amd maybe it would good to consider other options. Pharamcy can be a wonderful career but only if you really want it and are 100 percent sure as it's hard work that many will struggle with and you may be bettersuited to a different course.

Quick Reply