Turn on thread page Beta

Should black Americans do more.......? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Should black Americans do more to speak out for and protect the civil rights of others?

70% of black voters in California voted with Proposition 8 which stripped gay couples of the right to marry. Does it not strike you as ironic that the very group that should know most about discrimination and oppression voted this way? (Just for information purposes, this 70% black vote compares with 53% of Latino voters and a 49% white vote)

Views?

ReputationRep:
    Black Civil Rights movement cannot be compared with Proposition 8, as a whole the gay rights movement can but in this case it cannot due to the fact there is a fully equal alternative available, this is just keeping marriage between a man and a woman. The black communities in US are very religious, the problem is not how black people vote it is how religion affects politics even thou it should not.

This is why Prop 8 is unconstitutional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Should black Americans do more to speak out for and protect the civil rights of others?

70% of black voters in California voted with Proposition 8 which stripped gay couples of the right to marry. Does it not strike you as ironic that the very group that should know most about discrimination and oppression voted this way? (Just for information purposes, this 70% black vote compares with 53% of Latino voters and a 49% white vote)

Views?
    Blacks and mexicans in general(in the USA) are more religious than most, when the black churches are not screaming about the "white devil" (could you imagine the uproar if white churches were speaking of the black devil??) they are usally opposing gay rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goddess Fury)
    Blacks and mexicans in general(in the USA) are more religious than most, when the black churches are not screaming about the "white devil" (could you imagine the uproar if white churches were speaking of the black devil??) they are usally opposing gay rights.
    How this is wide spread is it?

You are a regular in African-American churches?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukhh187)

Go to any Black church in New York and you will hear it.
    Yes, I drink tea with jessie jackson.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Go to any Black church in New York and you will hear it.
    Assumptions like that would make you be classed as a white devil.

You say there would be huge outcry if White Churches talked of the "black devil". However, do you not think if FOX News got footage of a black church talking about white devils brehs like Sean Hannity and O'reilly would be going crazy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukhh187)
    Assumptions like that would make you be classed as a white devil.

You say there would be huge outcry if White Churches talked of the "black devil". However, do you not think if FOX News got footage of a black church talking about white devils brehs like Sean Hannity and O'reilly would be going crazy?
    Absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fcJqeqpJik

Just happend to find that on my travels.

ReputationRep:
    Great, ITT we prove that warped ideas of racial superiority works both ways. Breaking news, I'm sure.
    Can we stick to the topic now?

In this case I agree with Devel to an extent, hard to directly parallel civil rights with the right for gays to marry.

Ugh I want to say more. tbc.

ReputationRep:

very scary video...

ReputationRep:

So this is all African-American churches?

Besides, i thought(may be wrong) Louis Theroux was part of the Nation of Islam.
    There is plenty of public outcry against them in America.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.