The Student Room Group

EPQ ideas

I am very interested in biology and am studying it for A level. I would like to do an EPQ on something biology related, however this is proving difficult as I am not allowed to do an EPQ on anything which crosses over with the A level aqa bio spec. I take particular interest in the development of an embryo from fertilisation (not necessarily focussing on the stem cell part directly). I would really appreciate any suggests of EPQ topics which won't overlap with the spec. I am not particularly interested in writing about ethics- the sciencey stuff is most interesting to me.
(edited 1 year ago)
- something related to ageing? I know there's a lot of interesting things on that (the hallmarks of ageing)
- shortening of telomeres (which I suppose can also relate to ageing...)
- I did mine on ADHD but I suppose that's a bit psychology related too
Sorry, I know these are all a bit broad!

Keep in mind that the EPQ is about your research skills and ability to construct a well-written essay with your own analysis and conclusion etc, it shouldn't just be a report! if that makes sense
(edited 1 year ago)
What are your other subjects? I ask this because my EPQ is psychology based but has aspects of biology within it, so you could choose a topic that relates to multiple of your subjects
Reply 3
Original post by simxne_
- something related to ageing? I know there's a lot of interesting things on that (the hallmarks of ageing)
- shortening of telomeres (which I suppose can also relate to ageing...)
- I did mine on ADHD but I suppose that's a bit psychology related too
Sorry, I know these are all a bit broad!

Keep in mind that the EPQ is about your research skills and ability to construct a well-written essay with your own analysis and conclusion etc, it shouldn't just be a report! if that makes sense

Thank you so much- these suggestions are super useful!!! I will definitely look into them ☺️ Thanks for the tips too !
Reply 4
Original post by thrivingfrog
What are your other subjects? I ask this because my EPQ is psychology based but has aspects of biology within it, so you could choose a topic that relates to multiple of your subjects

My other subjects are chemistry, maths and econ. I would certainly be interested in doing something biochem based but just worried that I’ll have to find something that avoids both the bio and chem a level spec!
Sorry i dont know if these cross over with the AQA Bio Spec.

Here are ten more potential EPQ topics that you could consider, along with a brief summary of what you might write for each topic:

1. The role of signalling pathways in embryonic development: In this EPQ, you could explore the various signalling pathways that are involved in the development of an embryo and discuss how these pathways contribute to the formation of different tissues and organs.

2. The effects of prenatal exposure to drugs and toxins on embryonic development: This EPQ could focus on the ways in which drugs and toxins can impact the development of an embryo, and how this can lead to long-term health effects in the child.

3. The role of epigenetic modifications in embryonic development: This EPQ could explore the ways in which epigenetic modifications (such as DNA methylation and histone modification) can influence the development of an embryo, and how these modifications can affect the expression of genes.

4. The mechanisms behind genetic disorders in embryos and foetuses’: In this EPQ, you could focus on the various genetic disorders that can occur during embryonic and foetal development and explore the mechanisms behind these disorders.

5. The effects of environmental factors on embryonic development: This EPQ could examine the ways in which environmental factors, such as pollution and diet, can impact the development of an embryo, and how these factors can lead to health problems in the child.

6. The role of stem cells in tissue repair and regeneration: This EPQ could focus on the ways in which stem cells can be used to repair and regenerate damaged tissue in the body and discuss the potential applications of stem cells in medicine.

7. The role of the placenta in embryonic development: In this EPQ, you could explore the ways in which the placenta supports the development of an embryo and discuss the various functions of the placenta.

8. The mechanisms behind genetic disorders in embryos and foetuses’: This EPQ could focus on the various genetic disorders that can occur during embryonic and foetal development and explore the mechanisms behind these disorders.

9. The effects of maternal health on embryonic development: This EPQ could examine the ways in which maternal health can impact the development of an embryo, and how conditions such as diabetes and obesity can affect foetal health.

10. The role of genetic counselling in preventing genetic disorders in embryos and foetuses’: In this EPQ, you could explore the role of genetic counselling in helping couples understand their risk of having a child with a genetic disorder, and discuss the various options available for preventing these disorders.
Reply 6
Original post by dulladulla
Sorry i dont know if these cross over with the AQA Bio Spec.

Here are ten more potential EPQ topics that you could consider, along with a brief summary of what you might write for each topic:

1. The role of signalling pathways in embryonic development: In this EPQ, you could explore the various signalling pathways that are involved in the development of an embryo and discuss how these pathways contribute to the formation of different tissues and organs.

2. The effects of prenatal exposure to drugs and toxins on embryonic development: This EPQ could focus on the ways in which drugs and toxins can impact the development of an embryo, and how this can lead to long-term health effects in the child.

3. The role of epigenetic modifications in embryonic development: This EPQ could explore the ways in which epigenetic modifications (such as DNA methylation and histone modification) can influence the development of an embryo, and how these modifications can affect the expression of genes.

4. The mechanisms behind genetic disorders in embryos and foetuses’: In this EPQ, you could focus on the various genetic disorders that can occur during embryonic and foetal development and explore the mechanisms behind these disorders.

5. The effects of environmental factors on embryonic development: This EPQ could examine the ways in which environmental factors, such as pollution and diet, can impact the development of an embryo, and how these factors can lead to health problems in the child.

6. The role of stem cells in tissue repair and regeneration: This EPQ could focus on the ways in which stem cells can be used to repair and regenerate damaged tissue in the body and discuss the potential applications of stem cells in medicine.

7. The role of the placenta in embryonic development: In this EPQ, you could explore the ways in which the placenta supports the development of an embryo and discuss the various functions of the placenta.

8. The mechanisms behind genetic disorders in embryos and foetuses’: This EPQ could focus on the various genetic disorders that can occur during embryonic and foetal development and explore the mechanisms behind these disorders.

9. The effects of maternal health on embryonic development: This EPQ could examine the ways in which maternal health can impact the development of an embryo, and how conditions such as diabetes and obesity can affect foetal health.

10. The role of genetic counselling in preventing genetic disorders in embryos and foetuses’: In this EPQ, you could explore the role of genetic counselling in helping couples understand their risk of having a child with a genetic disorder, and discuss the various options available for preventing these disorders.

THANK YOU SO MUCH THESE ARE AMAZING!!!!!! I really really appreciate it these topics sound so interesting- will definitely look into them! I’ll let you know if I end up doing one of these, they all sound so interesting ☺️
Original post by Maria303
THANK YOU SO MUCH THESE ARE AMAZING!!!!!! I really really appreciate it these topics sound so interesting- will definitely look into them! I’ll let you know if I end up doing one of these, they all sound so interesting ☺️

Youreeeee welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest