The Student Room Group

Starting University Vs Gap Year

Posting for my Child

My Child has much lower predicted grades than she expects she will have (2A*A). So she did not apply to the top universities but will want to next year.

If she achieves the grades she expects to achieve and going by her current performance in school, it is very likely she will. Her school administrator, inexplicably, have been very opaque and did not adjust the predicted grades.

So what is better option for her.

a. Start in a University and then apply from there next year to top university. b. Take a Gap year and apply to top university next year.

I understand, financially, considerable downside is one year of wasted fee.

How do the universities where she plans to apply next year view this? What are the advantage / disadvantages, purely from point of view of these top universities?

PS: Imo, UK should do away with the predicted grades. It gives so much power to rough school administration.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sgcheam
Posting for my Child

My Child has much lower predicted grades than she expects she will have (2A*A). So she did not apply to the top universities but will want to next year.

If she achieves the grades she expects to achieve and going by her current performance in school, it is very likely she will. Her school administrator, inexplicably, have been very opaque and did not adjust the predicted grades.

So what is better option for her.

a. Start in a University and then apply from there next year to top university. b. Take a Gap year and apply to top university next year.

I understand, financially, considerable downside is one year of wasted fee.

How do the universities where she plans to apply next year view this? What are the advantage / disadvantages, purely from point of view of these top universities?

PS: Imo, UK should do away with the predicted grades. It gives so much power to rough school administration.

Her best option would to take a gap year, as there is no guarantee that she'd be able to transfer-in to her target university mid-course. Many students take a gap year, so it won't disadvantage her.

By also applying now (using her "low" predicted grades) she's also got a back-up plan in case her actual grades don't turn out to be as high as she hopes/expects.

(I agree about predicted grades, by the way.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
,.....no guarantee that she'd be able to transfer-in to her target university mid-course.

Is it considered new application or a transfer application? Put it other way, can she not make new application and re-start from year 1.

Concern is that, even with great grades, she may not get a place in top university and hence securing her place in second tier university maybe better?
I’m on a gap year for the same reason at the moment. Take the gap year, and find something to do (such as an internship).
Original post by Sgcheam
Is it considered new application or a transfer application? Put it other way, can she not make new application and re-start from year 1.

Well, either is possible. She could accept a place at a "second tier" and immediately apply via UCAS for up to five new universities, to start at those from Year 1 (i.e. repeating a year, assuming she's successful). Or she could apply to transfer into Year 2 of her preferred "top university". I can't comment on how successful that approach is likely to be, although I suspect that it will not be easy. (I had assumed it was the "transfer-in" approach you were referring to in your original post when you wrote "then apply from there next year to top university".)

Original post by Sgcheam
Concern is that, even with great grades, she may not get a place in top university and hence securing her place in second tier university maybe better?

Understood. I can certainly see the logic to this approach. It just seems a shame that she may well have to do Year 1 twice.

Quick Reply

Latest