The Student Room Group

GCSE options help

Hi guys,
I need help choosing give options. I am a bright student and want a career in maths.
I am definitely taking:
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Triple Science
German
Geography.

I am also planning on taking history. And my last subject will be between PE (OCR), Business (EDEXCEL) or Computer Science (AQA). Would also like some feedback about history (EDEXCEL). am a strong athlete so PE shouldn't be problem. Just wondering if uni will see it as a "soft" subject especially if I want a career in maths.
I would appreciate any feedback on any of the subjects listed above. Thank you
Hi there,

It sounds like you have a great start to your chosen subjects for a career in math. I think it's great that you're considering history as well, as it can provide valuable context and perspective for your future studies and career. As for the last subject, I would personally recommend Computer Science (AQA) as it is a valuable skill to have in today's technology-driven world, and it could potentially open up even more career opportunities for you in the future.

As for PE, while it may be a fun and enjoyable subject for you, it may not be viewed as seriously by universities as a more academically focused subject. However, if you truly enjoy PE and it doesn't compromise your grades in your other subjects, then it could still be a worthwhile option for you.

Overall, I would encourage you to carefully weigh the pros and cons of each subject and make a decision that aligns with your goals and interests. Good luck with your studies!
Reply 2
Original post by s-s-p
Hi guys,
I need help choosing give options. I am a bright student and want a career in maths.
I am definitely taking:
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Triple Science
German
Geography.

I am also planning on taking history. And my last subject will be between PE (OCR), Business (EDEXCEL) or Computer Science (AQA). Would also like some feedback about history (EDEXCEL). am a strong athlete so PE shouldn't be problem. Just wondering if uni will see it as a "soft" subject especially if I want a career in maths.

I mean, first thing to say is, really your options should be enjoyable, because that's the best way to do well. So personally, straight off the bat, I'd say do PE if you like it. I can't offer any advice on history, but do bear in mind that computer science but be a nicer option for a more maths based subject, and leaves career options open in maths, e.g. data science. Contrastingly though, if you don't do a related subject barely any unis pay any attention to your GCSEs, all they really care about is your A levels/apprenticeship. So don't worry about it being seen as a 'soft subject', if you prefer it. All your other subjects are nice choices though, but just a warning with two humanities, history and geography, there will be a lot of writing and stuff, but if you're good with that all should be fine.

So yeah, don't worry about PE but do bear in mind the career choices from computer science (personally, unless you want to continue business at a level I wouldn't recommend, but don't let me dissuade you). Good luck! Hope this helped :smile:
Hi I’m in year 11 taking history edexcel so i hope i offer some advice on that. From my point of view it has helped me develop myself academically as like you I am also strongest at maths (although wanting to do medicine). Are you confident at english? There is quite a lot of essay writing but i’ve also found that you can also approach it from a more logical/mathematical/formulaic viewpoint when constructing your essays as there isn’t that analysis of feelings of characters as there is in english lol. There is also a lot of content but as you said you are a bright student so you would be fine . For me, being good with number helps me remember statistics/SPEND which is really helpful. But overall it is enjoyable and if it interests you then you should defo consider doing it! Unis don’t really look too much into gcses but showing that you have a range of skills is also a good thing!

Do you know what areas your school studies? I do anglo saxon and normans, crime and punishment, american west, and weimar and nazi germany so i can offer some advice on how those are if you are doing any of them.

If you enjoy computer science then it would be a good idea to do it as it compliments maths really well! In my opinion, if you do a lot of sport outside of school then gcse pe doesnt really matter unless you want a career in some kind of sporty thing. However, i do have a friend who is bright too and still does pe gcse. It is also important to have a more ‘relaxing’ subject alongside everything else so that you don’t get too overwhelmed.

Anyway good luck choosing - if you have any other questions i’d be happy to answer them!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by s-s-p
Hi guys,
I am definitely taking:
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Triple Science
German
Geography.

Heya!
Pick subjects you will like and do good at :h: Most unis only require maths and english with a 5 or a 6 and above, there is no such thing as a 'soft' GCSE so don't worry. Only some unis like Oxford will look at your overall GCSE grades (not subject choice but grades).
If you want to do PE then go ahead or any other of the three! A-levels will play a bigger role in your application later on. If you are thinking of potentially doing CS in the future then GCSE would be a good intro to it but it's not a must. I did history and it was interesting but I enjoyed history more as a hobby rather than a subject so didn't continue with it after GCSEs :h: It's a very heavy essay subject and you'll have to remember lots of dates and events (which personally I didn't really enjoy). If you need any help with sciences then do check out Study mind for free past papers and revision notes!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5
Original post by dulladulla
Hi there,

It sounds like you have a great start to your chosen subjects for a career in math. I think it's great that you're considering history as well, as it can provide valuable context and perspective for your future studies and career. As for the last subject, I would personally recommend Computer Science (AQA) as it is a valuable skill to have in today's technology-driven world, and it could potentially open up even more career opportunities for you in the future.

As for PE, while it may be a fun and enjoyable subject for you, it may not be viewed as seriously by universities as a more academically focused subject. However, if you truly enjoy PE and it doesn't compromise your grades in your other subjects, then it could still be a worthwhile option for you.

Overall, I would encourage you to carefully weigh the pros and cons of each subject and make a decision that aligns with your goals and interests. Good luck with your

Original post by {Moss}
I mean, first thing to say is, really your options should be enjoyable, because that's the best way to do well. So personally, straight off the bat, I'd say do PE if you like it. I can't offer any advice on history, but do bear in mind that computer science but be a nicer option for a more maths based subject, and leaves career options open in maths, e.g. data science. Contrastingly though, if you don't do a related subject barely any unis pay any attention to your GCSEs, all they really care about is your A levels/apprenticeship. So don't worry about it being seen as a 'soft subject', if you prefer it. All your other subjects are nice choices though, but just a warning with two humanities, history and geography, there will be a lot of writing and stuff, but if you're good with that all should be fine.

So yeah, don't worry about PE but do bear in mind the career choices from computer science (personally, unless you want to continue business at a level I wouldn't recommend, but don't let me dissuade you). Good luck! Hope this helped :smile:

What's wrong with business? I'm not too keen on computer science as I dont particularly enjoy it even though I can see how useful it'll be. I am leaning towards PE because I know that I'll not take any of these subjects for a-level and I'm gonna do something maths related. Would you know if business would help me to get a job in finance? I've heard it's not a very good gcse because it's quite vague and that an economics a level would be better. Thank you for your initial reply
Original post by s-s-p
Hi guys,
I am definitely taking:
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Triple Science
German
Geography.

I would take PE - it'll be a good variety and won't be seen as soft. The important thing is to enjoy your subjects and get good grades. I teach Maths and did Textiles ...
Reply 7
Original post by s-s-p
Hi guys,
I am definitely taking:
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Triple Science
German
Geography.

If you are planning to do maths, computer science is definitely the most useful of the three. From my experience it was one of my easiest gcses mainly because I found that it was mostly memorisation. If you know the content and understand the pre release, then you will be absolutely fine. This might differ between different exam boards as I did Cambridge IGCSE so I am not 100% if this can be applied to every exam board however I assume it will be somewhat similar content and exam wise. Coding is a great skill to have and it can make you stand out as well because most people are unable to do the basics as they haven't learned. You could also mention the maths elements in computer science that you might find interesting on your personal statement for uni which again might make you stand out.

Business is probably the most pointless as you can still take it for A Level without doing it for GCSE so if you want something finance related take econ for A Level (most people who do it at my school actually find it their easiest A Level as content-wise it is not too heavy or complicated). Computer science GCSE would be a lot more useful for finance than business GCSE. Also I think it is quite a love-hate thing as I do econ for A Level (didn't for gcse as my school doesn't offer it) and I absolutely love it but some find it quite dull and have no interest in it. The part I don't enjoy as much is the microeconomics more business related content so I think I wouldn't personally have enjoyed a business GCSE. PE if you really enjoy then I see no reason not to take it. As others have mentioned most unis would not care too much about the specific GCSEs you do given that you have the standard ones which you do.

I think overall if you hate computer science and think you might get a worse grade and if you love PE and believe you will do much better, then do PE. Unis will care much more about the actual grade you get. However if you don't mind computer science too much maybe go for that as it does bring really good skills and you could probably mention basic coding skills on job applications or possibly on your personal statement.

About history I also did Edexcel and loved it. The topics I did were Nazi and Weimar Germany, Medicine through time and Richard and John (icl R&J was dull). It does have a fair bit of content but I think it is manageable. A Level history on the other hand... The only thing I can say is I think all my problems in life stem from A Level history-that's not really relevant tho, just a heads up if in the future you consider the A Level.

Anyways hope that helps!
Original post by s-s-p
Hi guys,
I am definitely taking:
Maths
English Language
English Literature
Triple Science
German
Geography.

dont choose buisness, take economics or computer science.(also PE isnt what you think, its mostly theory, rarely practical work)

Quick Reply

Latest