The Student Room Group

mixed, between, or within factorial 2X2 Design

Hi Guys was wondering if anyone can help and explain I'm doing a project that looks at examining whether gender and mood impact sleep satisfaction. I have my Independant Variables1. gender (male/female)2. mood (high/low)and my Dependant Variable - sleep satisfactionis this a between, within or mixed factorial design. Am leaning towards between? Any help will be greatly appreciated :-)
Based on the information you provided, it sounds like your study is using a mixed factorial design. This is the best choice for your study because it allows you to examine both the main effects and the interaction of your independent variables (gender and mood) on the dependent variable (sleep satisfaction). A between-subjects design would only allow you to test the main effect of gender on sleep satisfaction, while a within-subjects design would only allow you to test the main effect of mood on sleep satisfaction. In contrast, a mixed factorial design allows you to test both the main effects and the interaction, providing a more comprehensive understanding of how gender and mood impact sleep satisfaction. Therefore, sticking with a mixed factorial design would be the most beneficial for your study.
Original post by dulladulla
Based on the information you provided, it sounds like your study is using a mixed factorial design. This is the best choice for your study because it allows you to examine both the main effects and the interaction of your independent variables (gender and mood) on the dependent variable (sleep satisfaction). A between-subjects design would only allow you to test the main effect of gender on sleep satisfaction, while a within-subjects design would only allow you to test the main effect of mood on sleep satisfaction. In contrast, a mixed factorial design allows you to test both the main effects and the interaction, providing a more comprehensive understanding of how gender and mood impact sleep satisfaction. Therefore, sticking with a mixed factorial design would be the most beneficial for your study.

Thank you so much, really appreciate the help :-)
Original post by PsychStudent3
Thank you so much, really appreciate the help :-)

Happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending