The Student Room Group

A levels for med school

I'm currently in y11 and have been thinking more recently about med school. It's something I really want to do.
My teachers have been encouraging me to think about a levels.
I am going to take biology and psychology, still need to decide my third one.
I did some research and you can go to medschool without chemistry, though it really lowers your choice.
Is it better for me to go with English Literature, which my teacher said I would be predicted a A* in.
Or to go with chemistry, where I feel i could get a good grade (A/B) but not as high as English Lit?
I do a ton of extracurriculars so that's not a worry.
Which one would be most benefcial?
I would go with English lit purely based on the fact that you said you will do better. Med schools will sitll accept your a levels you just have to be extremely strategic and apply for the right ones
Original post by PastelColours
I would go with English lit purely based on the fact that you said you will do better. Med schools will sitll accept your a levels you just have to be extremely strategic and apply for the right ones

Thank you! I feel like english lit would be beneficial aswell if medschool goes under the bus!
Original post by twopoundcoin
I'm currently in y11 and have been thinking more recently about med school. It's something I really want to do.
I did some research and you can go to medschool without chemistry, though it really lowers your choice.
Is it better for me to go with English Literature, which my teacher said I would be predicted a A* in.
Or to go with chemistry, where I feel i could get a good grade (A/B) but not as high as English Lit?

Not English, no - chemistry would give you far more options. Extracurriculars are, by and large, irrelevant.
Original post by Reality Check
Not English, no - chemistry would give you far more options. Extracurriculars are, by and large, irrelevant.

OP has already stated that they would do better in English lit than Chem. Yes there are limited options but there are still med schools OP can apply too. No point taking Chem knowing you might not get the A needed for med school
Thank you! I feel like english lit would be beneficial aswell if medschool goes under the bus!

Np, off the top of my head you can apply to keele, Lancaster, KMMS and I think Sheffield Someone provided the link for all the med school requirements so take some time to read through it etc
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PastelColours
OP has already stated that they would do better in English lit than Chem. Yes there are limited options but there are still med schools OP can apply too. No point taking Chem knowing you might not get the A needed for med school

That's not actually what the OP says, if you take the time to read it properly:

As the OP is saying that they think they could get an A in chemistry, they should be picking that rather than English as it massively widens the field of medical schools to which they can apply.
Original post by McGinger

Thank you! this saves me scrolling through UCAS for ages :smile:

Heya!
Use this medical comparison tool to check out different entry requirements for med schools :h: Please do be careful as a lot of medical schools do like chem and bio combo (but not all), as you said it'll limit your choice. If you are happy with the unis where you can do medicine without chem then go for english lit!
I would recommend doing some research on it before making a final call and even if you do change your mind later on, you can swap a-levels early on so don't worry!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Use this medical comparison tool to check out different entry requirements for med schools :h: Please do be careful as a lot of medical schools do like chem and bio combo (but not all), as you said it'll limit your choice. If you are happy with the unis where you can do medicine without chem then go for english lit!
I would recommend doing some research on it before making a final call and even if you do change your mind later on, you can swap a-levels early on so don't worry!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you! This was super helpful. This is exactly what my guidance counsellor said, though i'm still thinking on it lol :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
That's not actually what the OP says, if you take the time to read it properly:

As the OP is saying that they think they could get an A in chemistry, they should be picking that rather than English as it massively widens the field of medical schools to which they can apply.

OP said A/B so there is still the possibility of getting a B in chemistry which wouldn’t help unless they have widening participation

Quick Reply

Latest