Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

Can someone tell me how related is Optometry to Medicine?

I am asking about the situation of a graduate optometry and is thinking of studying medicine. In addition to the situation of a person with an Optometry Doctor degree and is thinking of studying medicine.

Please I would mainly like to know if there's a difference in UK, Canada, and USA.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optometry

Go crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Iscariot thanks for your reply but Wikipedia only gives you general information about Optometry, I want to know how close or far are they course wise. I mean what courses differ when jumping from optometry to medicine, that is if they are not related at all in study(I doubt).

ReputationRep:
    Well the courses aren't going to particularly similar as optometry is all to do with measuring people's eyes and vision while medicine is all to do with everything. Therefore I'd expect almost all the courses to differ aside from perhaps some transferrable skills like communication which I assume is taught to some extent during optometry degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can give you some insight into the Canadian and US systems. Since optometry in the US and Canada is a four year course after doing three-four years of an undergraduate degree the first two years are very similar to that medicine which is also a four year course after getting the undergrad degree. Basically, your have to have the basics for both so that includes biochemistry, anatomy, physiology etc. Both also involve taking the ethical/philosophy classes to make sure you can make the right judgement calls. Of course even if you have one degree, you don't get to "skip" parts of the curriculum - its a program so whether you have an undergrad degree in english or a masters degree in anatomy you are required to take the same classes as everyone else in the program.

Hope that answers your question

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Harp35 for your reply You answered the whole question for the USA and Canada section.

But there's something confusing me now. I'm enrolling in a 3-4 years undergraduate program to get a bachelors degree in "Optics & Optometry" when I'm done. You mentioned that "Optometry" is a four year program AFTER the 3-4 years of an undergraduate. does that mean I won't be an Optometrist after finishing or I'll just be an undergraduate optometrist?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie Bek)
    Thanks Harp35 for your reply You answered the whole question for the USA and Canada section.

But there's something confusing me now. I'm enrolling in a 3-4 years undergraduate program to get a bachelors degree in "Optics & Optometry" when I'm done. You mentioned that "Optometry" is a four year program AFTER the 3-4 years of an undergraduate. does that mean I won't be an Optometrist after finishing or I'll just be an undergraduate optometrist?!

I am assuming that you are doing your degree in the UK or somewhere where optometry is considered an undergrad degree. In the country that you get your degree your will be considered an optometrist, however your degree will not be recognized in Canada or the US until you pass the equivalency exam. If you do not pass, you will have to go back to a college or university for a year to have your degree recognized.:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in Europe, but I'm in an American University with an American system. So it's supposed to be the same! anyway I'll check with my university. Just waiting for a reply about the U.K. part of the question now.
    Thanks allot Harp35

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 19, 2008

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.