The Student Room Group

I have some A Level Issues

Hello all , I’m in need of some advice. So this summer I failed to get the grades required for the course I wished to enter at the university of my dreams (at the time ). I also didn’t get into my secondary choice because the grade requirements were pretty much the same as the primary choice. Come September I have decided to retake my A levels instead of applying for another university because I believe I can do so much better. Unfortunately I spent a lot of time throughout these last couple of months getting over the shock of failure , securing a job, working and just generally trying to bring myself into the correct mental space required to be able to take on this endeavour. Now I do not have any fear about my capability in getting the grades I need in the 2023 exams but I am very worried about getting my predicted grades to apply for university now. Because I don’t think that at the level I am right now I have/can produce enough work or evidence to back me up and give me the predicted grades I need to apply for the type of universities I wish to. So my question is , as a retake student looking to enter university next autumn, what should I do? Are there options to apply later? If I apply through clearing do I still need to create a university profile and apply now? Is a personal statement needed either way? Are predicted grades needed in every application? What are the options for someone like myself? I thank you in advance if you have read this and gone out of your way to provide any sort of advice to this student in crisis. Every and any answer is always appreciated .❤︎︎
Original post by Astudentincrisis
Hello all , I’m in need of some advice. So this summer I failed to get the grades required for the course I wished to enter at the university of my dreams (at the time ). I also didn’t get into my secondary choice because the grade requirements were pretty much the same as the primary choice. Come September I have decided to retake my A levels instead of applying for another university because I believe I can do so much better. Unfortunately I spent a lot of time throughout these last couple of months getting over the shock of failure , securing a job, working and just generally trying to bring myself into the correct mental space required to be able to take on this endeavour. Now I do not have any fear about my capability in getting the grades I need in the 2023 exams but I am very worried about getting my predicted grades to apply for university now. Because I don’t think that at the level I am right now I have/can produce enough work or evidence to back me up and give me the predicted grades I need to apply for the type of universities I wish to. So my question is , as a retake student looking to enter university next autumn, what should I do? Are there options to apply later? If I apply through clearing do I still need to create a university profile and apply now? Is a personal statement needed either way? Are predicted grades needed in every application? What are the options for someone like myself? I thank you in advance if you have read this and gone out of your way to provide any sort of advice to this student in crisis. Every and any answer is always appreciated .❤︎︎

Have you started studying any of the A levels that you're planning to retake next summer?
As a retake student, predictions would not always be required.

Other than the application fee, you have nothing to lose by applying to 5 choices before the Jan deadline. I'd recommend that, rather than pinning your hopes on courses remaining open later in the cycle, or in clearing.
Original post by Astudentincrisis

Hi @Astudentincrisis

You can generally apply to University later such as for example through UCAS Extra ( = if you included 5 choices on your application, have received decisions from all 5, and weren’t accepted, or if you declined the offers you received, you will be able to use Extra) or Clearing. However, in order to be considered onto the course and avoid the courses closing because they are full (which is often common in Clearing), my advice would be to apply as soon as you can before the equal consideration UCAS deadline at the end of January 2023. Indeed after the equal consideration deadline universities can consider new applications if they have spaces available once the on-time applications have been considered.

Regardless when you apply through UCAS, you will need to create an account in order to submit your application fully. A personal statement will be required in addition to academic qualifications information and a reference, which generally your school provides on your behalf. You will need to include your predicted grades on UCAS, however at Oxford Brookes these are not a key element of our decision making process as we look at aspirational grades/whether you have the potential to meet the entry criteria of your course of interest. This may not be the case for all universities so it is always worth double checking with your universities of interest.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes
Matilde

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest