The Student Room Group

Choosing A-Levels, please help!!!

hi everyone :smile: i am in year 11, need some help choosing my A-Levels. I am stuck between a few possible combos.

- Biology, Chemistry, History
- Biology, Physics, Geography
- Biology, Physics, History

For extra info, my year 11 mock grades for these subjects were:
- Biology - Grade 9
- History - Grade 9
- Chemistry - Grade 8
- Geography - Grade 8
- Physics - Grade 7

A lot of the A-Level help websites that I have visited do not list these combinations as one that Unis look for. They all list Maths, which I am adamant that I can't and won't do, because I find it really difficult and I haven't done as well in it, in class and in mocks.

What can I do with the above combos? Especially considering that I do not really have a set path that I would want to study at university. I think that if I were to decide on a career at this moment in time, it would be in meteorology or optometry.

Any help would be appreciated, as the closing date is fast approaching for the application. Thank you :smile:)
Original post by loonatic
hi everyone :smile: i am in year 11, need some help choosing my A-Levels. I am stuck between a few possible combos.

- Biology - Grade 9
- History - Grade 9
- Chemistry - Grade 8
- Geography - Grade 8
- Physics - Grade 7

A lot of the A-Level help websites that I have visited do not list these combinations as one that Unis look for. They all list Maths, which I am adamant that I can't and won't do, because I find it really difficult and I haven't done as well in it, in class and in mocks.

What can I do with the above combos? Especially considering that I do not really have a set path that I would want to study at university. I think that if I were to decide on a career at this moment in time, it would be in meteorology or optometry.

Any help would be appreciated, as the closing date is fast approaching for the application. Thank you :smile:)

Hey! I'm in y13 and take English Lit, History and Sociology,
I think if you're aiming to pursue sciencey subjects, biology, chemistry and geography would workwell. All I can really say is history is very much different than the others and though you may find it a 'breather' it is very intense with a lot of coursework; i understand geography may be similar but in a sense geography is more to do with the world and thus fits better with chemistry and biology (especially biology!!!) You don't have to do maths but my college offers a basic level maths a level (Core Maths) which im told isnt as hard as Pure Maths/Further Maths1 Dont feel pressure to take it, the unis are more interested if you have at least 2 science based subjects so you're safe:smile: Hope thats some kind of use! Just note history is a irrelevant and you still got an 8 In geography which is so impressive.

- Biology - Grade 9
- History - Grade 9
- Chemistry - Grade 8
- Geography - Grade 8
- Physics - Grade 7

Hi,
From what I can find, most Universities require just 2 core science subjects at A level for optometry so you should be okay if you would still like to apply for that in year 13. Mainly Universities just ask that you do well in the subjects you have taken. With the above combos, they mainly match up with biomedical sciences and healthcare sciences when it comes to skills and knowledge.
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-levelexplorer/biology/history/physics?o=021
For most courses though, you won't have to worry too much about which subjects you have taken as long as you meet the grade requirements. I agree that Chemistry, Biology and geography may help you out the most as your gcse grades show that you might find these easier.
Hope this helps!
- Malek
University of Kent Rep

- Biology - Grade 9
- History - Grade 9
- Chemistry - Grade 8
- Geography - Grade 8
- Physics - Grade 7

The prospects website is good for looking at job profiles and what qualifications are required. For example:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/meteorologist

For example, to pursue meteorology, you could consider a degree in physical geography or earth/environmental sciences so A levels in Biology, Geography, Physics or Chemistry would be a good combo. Be aware that physics A level is very mathsy - you might want to talk to a teacher about taking it if you struggle with GCSE maths.

- Biology - Grade 9
- History - Grade 9
- Chemistry - Grade 8
- Geography - Grade 8
- Physics - Grade 7

I did chemistry, physics and maths last year.

My advice would be to pick your favourite three subjects, irrespective of what the combo actually is.

Besides optometry and meteorology, what sort of things may you be interested in doing post A level? Theoretically speaking, you could do all sorts of things with any one of those combinations. It just seems silly for us to just suggest things when we have little to no indication of what sort of things you actually want to do with your A levels.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6

- Biology - Grade 9
- History - Grade 9
- Chemistry - Grade 8
- Geography - Grade 8
- Physics - Grade 7

Probably the first combination. There is a lot of maths in A-level physics, so although you can to it without maths, most other students will be also doing maths, so will potentially have an advantage over you. Also, you can't do Physics or engineering type degrees without maths, so not sure if doing Physics will add much.

- Biology - Grade 9
- History - Grade 9
- Chemistry - Grade 8
- Geography - Grade 8
- Physics - Grade 7

Heya!
Have you thought about doing something science, particularly biology-related like biochemistry or perhaps pharmaceutical (if you want to do bio and chem)? I would recommend checking out Prospects and seeing what careers you can do :h:There are tons of science-related degrees you can do with the combos you have but it's about figuring out what in particular interests you. I would recommend searching up some degrees using Unicompare and noting down what looks good to you!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest