The Student Room Group

Foundation or higher

I’m not sure if I should do maths foundation or higher paper . I think school want me to play safe and do F but my parents and me higher

Scroll to see replies

i would look at past papers and see if it is something i can do :smile:
honestly? unless you want to do something with maths like stem, just go for foundation... way better of maxing out the foundation paper - nobody cares about gcses after sixth form. just take a look at any sixth forms in your area and make sure they dont require like a 6 or above in maths for general entry or for whatever subjects you MIGHT wanna take. trust me, its not quite the same but ive seen my mates take further and fsmq maths and it was worthless if they did a levels at sixth form and did all like humanity subjects (if you do IB its a slightly different story but most do a levels so ig the advice still stands) - they literally spent nights crying for nothing.

tbh I spent nights crying over higher maths simply cos i hate maths, i only did it cos my school makes everyone take higher minimum and i wanted to do Bio at uni. plus i was probs gonna stay at my sixth form that do the IB - (advice: dont do the ib its a pain in the arse and unforgiving)
Reply 3
What is IB?
Reply 4
I’m predicted 7s and 8s in all my other subjects so my parents just feel as I can only get 5 in foundation maths is this the right choice for me
Original post by lbe
I’m not sure if I should do maths foundation or higher paper . I think school want me to play safe and do F but my parents and me higher

Original post by lbe
I’m predicted 7s and 8s in all my other subjects so my parents just feel as I can only get 5 in foundation maths is this the right choice for me

I believe it is easier to get a 5 with a higher paper than a foundation paper. Check the grade boundaries. I would go for a higher paper and then you have a chance of getting more than 5, which is not the case if you do the foundation paper. Aim high, work hard and you'll get there.
Reply 6
Original post by Frogette
I believe it is easier to get a 5 with a higher paper than a foundation paper. Check the grade boundaries. I would go for a higher paper and then you have a chance of getting more than 5, which is not the case if you do the foundation paper. Aim high, work hard and you'll get there.

But don’t you run the risk of failing too if get lower than a 4
Original post by lbe
But don’t you run the risk of failing too if get lower than a 4

you run the risk of not getting a 5 whatever papers you do. But to get a 5 with a higher paper last year, you needed 36% overall. But to get a 5 with the foundation papers you needed 72%.
The figures were 21% (H) and 56% (F) for a 4.

Do a set of past paper Higher tier and one set Foundation tier and see which one you'd get a higher grade for.

All I am saying is that with the foundation paper, there is very little room for not knowing and for little mistakes here and there.

I hope that helps.
Reply 8
I presume the the questions in the higher are harder though ?
Original post by lbe

Yeah they are, and you'll have more topics to learn, @Muttley79. What kind of thing do you want to do after sixth form?
Original post by lbe

Which Board? The specification tells you which topics are Foundation and which Higher.
Reply 11
I thinking Of History , Geography and English Literature a levels and maybe a degree in law , history and international relations / politics

Original post by Talkative Toad
Yeah they are, and you'll have more topics to learn, @Muttley79. What kind of thing do you want to do after sixth form?
Original post by lbe
I thinking Of History , Geography and English Literature a levels and maybe a degree in law , history and international relations / politics

Ah ok, I mean unless you need a grade 6 in Maths for those courses, then just do whichever one you think that you're more likely to get a grade 5 in 🤷🏾*♀️ but I'm no educational expert.
Original post by lbe
What is IB?

Its the International Baccalaureate. Most people do the diploma programme. Basically, instead of A levels, you study a total of 6 subjects. you do three at 'higher level' - these are equivalent to A levels basically, three at 'standard level' - usually compared to AS levels, and then you also write the equivalent of an EPQ - the rules for our epq, the 'EE' are slightly different but the principle is the same, its an extended piece of academic writing.
You are also then required to do a course called theory of knowledge - i compare it to a mini philosophy course but you dont learn about philosophers more about the meaning of subjects and whether knowledge is something discovered or created etc etc (in TOK you then also submit two essays, theres no exams). Lastly, you do something called CAS. basically for the duration of sixth form you have to document how you have volunteered, done some kind of exercise, and done something creative (these sectors can be combined - i ran a school club for a bit which covered the volunteering and creative sectors).

though you dont get exams on the ee, cas, or tok, if you fail any of these you fail the ib diploma.
Original post by lbe

Personally, I think it'd be safer to do a foundation paper. definitely do one of both and see how you do and take a look at the topics that you would have to do in the higher paper. also those statistics whoever posted them, you have to remember that most people who do a foundation paper arent the best at maths, not too sound mean, theres a reason they were entered to sit the foundation. Because nobody really looks at gcses after sixth form, its like a variation to let them to say they have maths gcse and allow progression in education where they wont need maths further down the line. Like i said before, my school made us sit the higher papers but the odd kid would sit the foundation paper as the school preferred them to max out the foundation paper and be capped at a 5 then to sit the higher paper and come out with a 3/4 - nobody disses you, or cares, if you sat foundation, at the end of the day, people in the future only want to know if you have a gcse in maths, and that its at a grade 4 or above.
have a look at past papers. practice a few and see how you fare. it also depends on what you want to do for alevels
Original post by lbe

What result did you get in your mock exams?
Reply 17
Original post by gdunne42
What result did you get in your mock exams?

I got a 4+ but we only did 2 out of the 3 papers
Original post by lbe

It depends on what you want to do for A level if it involves maths I recommend higher :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by zali786
It depends on what you want to do for A level if it involves maths I recommend higher :wink:i

ive chosen history geography and English literature for a levels my favourite and strongest subjects

I’ve chosen history geography and English literature for a levels . My favourite and strongest subjects

Quick Reply

Latest