The Student Room Group

A level choices for maths and philosophy/ PPE

Hi, I’m doing my GCSEs at the moment and have to choose my a-levels in January at my school (it’s rly annoying). I want to go to a top uni and stuff to do something like PPE or maths and philosophy. With that said, I always change my mind and am v indecisive. What a levels should I do that keep my options open and are still competitive for these courses?

Currently I’m thinking of maths, further maths and then 2 of either
English lit, religious studies, physics, chem, biology, economics, computing or a language

Please help!!
Also, is religious studies a good option or is it taken less seriously??
Original post by AGumbrellas
Hi, I’m doing my GCSEs at the moment and have to choose my a-levels in January at my school (it’s rly annoying). I want to go to a top uni and stuff to do something like PPE or maths and philosophy. With that said, I always change my mind and am v indecisive. What a levels should I do that keep my options open and are still competitive for these courses?

English lit, religious studies, physics, chem, biology, economics, computing or a language

Please help!!

The best thing to do is go to the websites of some of the unis you would hope to apply to and read the 'Entry requirements' sections for your subject to see if specific A levels are required. If non are specified, then choose the A levels that you will enjoy and get the best grades in.

Also, even though schools make you choose your A levels early, you will be able to swap if you change your mind later in the year.
I think from my opinion it is a good thing to do a religious studies and I think it's enjoyable
Original post by normaw
The best thing to do is go to the websites of some of the unis you would hope to apply to and read the 'Entry requirements' sections for your subject to see if specific A levels are required. If non are specified, then choose the A levels that you will enjoy and get the best grades in.

Also, even though schools make you choose your A levels early, you will be able to swap if you change your mind later in the year.

Thank you that’s useful. I’ve just checked now - Apart from maths and recommend further maths, none are required, but I want to do ones that are still useful and taken seriously if that makes sense…
Thank you that’s useful. I’ve just checked now - Apart from maths and recommend further maths, none are required, but I want to do ones that are still useful and taken seriously if that makes sense…

Any of the subjects you have listed are solid options.
Reply 5
I would make sure you take at least one essay subject, but other than that it really doesn’t matter. Do what you enjoy and are good at. As others have said, maths and FM are the only necessary ones.

RS is a perfectly fine option and you should take it if you want to, but don’t feel like you have to because of the philosophy component. It is 100% not required or even an advantage for any philosophy course; it’s really not very similar to uni-level philosophy.
(edited 1 year ago)

Please help!!

Heya!
The best thing to do is go to unis website and check out their entry requirements for PPE. They list what entry requirements they need or what recommended subjects you should take :h: If they don't list anything specific then select the ones you think you'll do best in.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest