The Student Room Group

Further maths, computer science or physics?

I'm looking to do computer science at university, and I notice a lot of universities put maths, computer science, and physics in their entry requirements, with the best ones recommending further maths as well. I would rather not do 4 a-levels, so which of these is it a good idea to not pick in order to get into university?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sjsjebsjbsns
I'm looking to do computer science at university, and I notice a lot of universities put maths, computer science, and physics in their entry requirements, with the best ones recommending further maths as well. I would rather not do 4 a-levels, so which of these is it a good idea to not pick in order to get into university?

I would leave physics if you really have to drop something.

The only time I would recommend physics is if further maths is not an option. This is if you want to go to top end universities and courses. If you feel like you would do badly in further maths, then go with physics instead.

Personally, A Level Maths is more than adequate, so long you get high enough grades in your other A Levels.

However, if computer science is definitely your passion, Maths and Computer Science are definitely within your chosen A Levels.
Original post by Sjsjebsjbsns

In short: If you don't want to take 4 take physics, math, further math. Computer Science is easier than physics but more boring and unis don't value it as highly

Top Tip:

do 4 (math, fm(further math), computer science and physics) in yr 12, drop 1 (preferably fm) in yr 13 after you send your application, universities don't give out 4-A level offers only 3 (except for imperial and oxbridge plus potentially UCL but idk bout them for sure yet it is unlikely).

I took math, fm, computer science and physics and just got 2 3 A-level offers from manchester (3 A*) and warwick (2A* and A). My offers says I only need math A* and A*/A in 2 other subjects (but only in certian subjects like fm, computer science and physics). You dont have to sit any exams for fm as long as your school doesnt do AS. I also applied to bath ,imperial and cambridge (just done interview).

taking 4 in yr 12 looks good as computer science is very competitive, also consider taking EPQ as easy to get A* in.

Essentially take 4 to get your foot in the door by making your self look all big and strong then once its in drop the dead weight.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest