I can't get over this Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So this is my story

Most of my life, i was educated in french schools, and i left the french education system at 14 years old, nearly 15, along with my brothers, now I did not know much about the english education system and just let my parents and other people guide me. I just had got done with a major exam, and passed it, now I thought the exam was equivalent to GCSEs so I applied for A-;evels, everything went good, i even went to the induction day, THEN the admission man noticed something, especially my age, and said "Wow you can't be here" and they sent me to this other college, a foundation course where all the students were basically kicked out of school.

The standards were ridiculous, I felt like i was among very unintelligent people. my biggest regret is at that time, i should have just went to school, you know the place where pupils wear blazers and trousers and more than 5 GCSES. Now 18 and studying a BTEC in Media, i feel like my life is already over, and I failed.

I lose sleep over this. its killing me
Alexiscool
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What btec? First diploma or National Diploma?

A national diploma is equivelent to a levels and will get you into uni!! so how is taking that meaning you failed??

Unless this is just a wind up to nd students.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Alexiscool)
What btec? First diploma or National Diploma?

A national diploma is equivelent to a levels and will get you into uni!! so how is taking that meaning you failed??

Unless this is just a wind up to nd students.
yes I know this, but if I went through the traditional way that my 2 younger siblings have gone through, I would have probably been more happy, secure than now.

it's just that I let other people control me, and i received horrendous advice
Anonymous #1
its a national diploma btw
Cherry Kisses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get into uni after your btec, and you can apply for uni at any age over 18, go for it
bobbert_18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
its never too late to do alevels! so just get to a college and or self study because it sounds like it means a lot to you.
zef99
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what do you wanna do at uni? where do you wanna go?
Schmokie Dragon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you honestly feel as though your opportunities for the future have been limited, or are you just annoyed that you and those around you didn't make perfect decisions?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
Do you honestly feel as though your opportunities for the future have been limited, or are you just annoyed that you and those around you didn't make perfect decisions?
yes that how i feel, i ask myself "What if" all the time
Anonymous #1
(Original post by zef99)
what do you wanna do at uni? where do you wanna go?
I want to study Journalism at university for now at least
zef99
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I want to study Journalism at university for now at least
I'm presuming your heading for a distinction at the BTEC. Have you looked online for courses that you're interested in?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by zef99)
I'm presuming your heading for a distinction at the BTEC. Have you looked online for courses that you're interested in?
Yes of course, at the minimum DDM..yes i have looked online, Haven't made my mind uo yet but yeah i just don't want to regret too much later in life
Schmokie Dragon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
yes that how i feel, i ask myself "What if" all the time
There is no point asking "what if?". Everyone has had something negative impact their lives, and everyone could work themselves up asking "what if?".

Make the best of what you have and work to make your life better. It's all you can do.
Les fleurs du mal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hey i just sent you a message,

My advice is: Do your diploma and see where that takes you. If you are not satisfied then do the French baccalaureate en "candidat libre". I am not sure but I think you can do all the exams in one go, ie do all the Baccaleaureate subjects in one go instead of doing them over two years. (Première and terminale)

I did the ones from première ( French literature written exam, french literature oral exam, sciences, maths one year) and then all the other subjects; spanish, philosophy, french lit, history & geo,english, sport the following year in terminale
ExDeusVenitBritannia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Perhaps I'm going too far here, but I'd venture that you might be suffering from depression. I don't know, and I don't know any more than you've said, but from what I've read: the exasperated tone, the sense of futility and helplessness etc, it's maybe something you could look into.

A-levels are advisable, because they're seen as the most academically challenging qualification available. Btecs are not that well regarded in the top end of the UK uni rankings, but it depends where you want to go and what you want to do. They could actually be better if you want to do media.

I'm sorry you got such bad advice, and I'm sorry you've already started down what could be the wrong path for you (or, depending on your goals, quite equally the RIGHT path ). Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement, and speak to Connexions, or a teacher etc you trust. You need to make informed decisions, so get some good information this time :p:

Alternatively you could do a UK Bac, and that's pretty highly regarded now.

You have SOOOO many options. You're nowhere near a dead end, so chin up and get thy life back on track.
Anonymous #1
Thanks for everyone help, one problem with take the Bac is that I have been out of the french lycee for 3-4 years, and I really think I might crumble because of the difficulty, so I don't know if that is an option
Advanced Subsidiary
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
self study is very good too for a-levels. I'm doing it and you can get 3 modules (1 yr course) done in 3-5 months.
Anabolicator
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
self study is very good too for a-levels. I'm doing it and you can get 3 modules (1 yr course) done in 3-5 months.
Might do it if my BTEC gets me nowhere
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.35%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.35%

Watched Threads