The Student Room Group

Are extremely high acceptance rates a red flag for a uni?

Hi,

I’m currently deciding where to apply for uni, and I want to put Aberystwyth uni (their combined maths and drama course) as one of my five choices, and I probably want to go there if I get in. I went to an open day and it was great, and the course looks like it’d fit me. But I read that they have a 97% acceptance rate and wondered if this would affect the quality of education? It’s not that I mind being around people who didn’t get ridiculously high grades at A Level (it’s not like I will either), I was just concerned that if they’re willing to accept most people they might not really care about the quality of their students (things like motivation) and this might affect the uni’s reputation for employers and the atmosphere?
Original post by College student2
Hi,

I’m currently deciding where to apply for uni, and I want to put Aberystwyth uni (their combined maths and drama course) as one of my five choices, and I probably want to go there if I get in. I went to an open day and it was great, and the course looks like it’d fit me. But I read that they have a 97% acceptance rate and wondered if this would affect the quality of education? It’s not that I mind being around people who didn’t get ridiculously high grades at A Level (it’s not like I will either), I was just concerned that if they’re willing to accept most people they might not really care about the quality of their students (things like motivation) and this might affect the uni’s reputation for employers and the atmosphere?

Do you mean offer rate or acceptance rate?
Aber has an offer rate around 97% for UK applicants https://www.ucas.com/data-and-analysis/undergraduate-statistics-and-reports/ucas-undergraduate-sector-level-end-cycle-data-resources-2021/2021-entry-ucas-undergraduate-reports-sex-area-background-and-ethnic-group

Offer rates being high doesn't imply low entry requirements. A university is under no obligation to accept applicants with grades lower than their offer.
They made 7,820 offers for UK applicants in 2021, 1,665 were placed onto the course. The difference between those numbers is a combination of applicants declining their offers and some who accepted their offers being rejected in the summer due to not meeting their offer conditions.

Have a look on https://discoveruni.gov.uk/ to see the tariff scores of people accepted onto your course, how many dropped out within the 1st year and what final year students thought of the teaching. That will tell you more about the quality of the education than the offer rate.
Original post by College student2
Hi,

Hi there,

It's amazing to hear that you're thinking of coming to study at Aberystwyth! I'm really glad that you enjoyed the Open Day and that you can see yourself studying at Aber :smile: It really is a wonderful University and town.

It definitely does not affect the quality of education! We are actually Top 10 in the UK for Student Experience and Teaching Quality for the subject of Mathematics (Good University Guide, The Times and Sunday Times 2022). The lecturers really care about their students and their own work as well - a lot of our lecturers are conducting their own research and projects so you know you're receiving an education from people who are actively a part of their field.

University is also what you make of it, take every opportunity that heads your way and that will make your student experience an incredible one :smile:

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, I would be happy to help :smile:
Anna

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending