The Student Room Group

University Choices

Hello, I have applied for zoology at: Bristol, Swansea, Aberystwyth, Plymouth and Gloucestershire but I am struggling in terms of choice, I have applied for a year/industrial year abroad for Gloucestershire, Aberystwyth and Swansea but I'd like some opinions please!
Opinions about what exactly?
Original post by poynton
Hello, I have applied for zoology at: Bristol, Swansea, Aberystwyth, Plymouth and Gloucestershire but I am struggling in terms of choice, I have applied for a year/industrial year abroad for Gloucestershire, Aberystwyth and Swansea but I'd like some opinions please!

Hello @poynton

You have applied to some really good universities! Choosing which uni you'd like to join can be a bit of a daunting experience... But if you break it down into steps, the task can seem much easier. You could compare those universities in terms of what matters most to you e.g. accommodation, night life, societies/ clubs, course modules.... etc.

I studied Marine Biology with a Year in Industry at Swansea university, and absolutely loved it! I would recommend you chose a university that allows you to do this because you can gain a lot of experience in the field before you even graduate. If you have any further questions, feel free to drop us a message. Good luck with your application!

Karolina (Admissions Office)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Opinions about what exactly?

The modules and the lectures, what the uni is like in terms of life and if anyone who has done a year abroad or specifically the field trips what they were like
Reply 4
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hello @poynton

You have applied to some really good universities! Choosing which uni you'd like to join can be a bit of a daunting experience... But if you break it down into steps, the task can seem much easier. You could compare those universities in terms of what matters most to you e.g. accommodation, night life, societies/ clubs, course modules.... etc.

I studied Marine Biology with a Year in Industry at Swansea university, and absolutely loved it! I would recommend you chose a university that allows you to do this because you can gain a lot of experience in the field before you even graduate. If you have any further questions, feel free to drop us a message. Good luck with your application!

Hi! Thanks for the message, I’ve been trying to locate the modules for zoology on Swansea university website but have yet to find them, will look again later, I’m applying for a year abroad but hoping I can make the grade in chemistry for the requirement.
Reply 5
Hello @poynton

I was wondering if the zoology courses had a wide breadth in terms of physiology and marine biology optional modules, or even avian biology
1) Look at the course content - optional units etc fir ALL year of each course.
2) Pick a degree with a placement, or study abroad, wherever possible.
3) Look at the campus tour films on YouTube.
4) Look at the course content again.

Btw - you dont have to decide until next June..
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
1) Look at the course content - optional units etc fir ALL year of each course.
2) Pick a degree with a placement, or study abroad, wherever possible.
3) Look at the campus tour films on YouTube.
4) Look at the course content again.

Btw - you dont have to decide until next June..

Thanks for the tips, just thinking in terms of my firm and insurance choices I’ve got to make right now, my parents are pushing me to choose Bristol because it is a top uni, but Bristol doesn’t offer degrees abroad in zoology. Just would like you’re opinions from an outside perspective :smile:
Original post by poynton
Thanks for the tips, just thinking in terms of my firm and insurance choices I’ve got to make right now, my parents are pushing me to choose Bristol because it is a top uni, but Bristol doesn’t offer degrees abroad in zoology. Just would like you’re opinions from an outside perspective :smile:

Hi there,

The main thing is don't stress too much about rushing into a decision straight away!

At the end of the day, the most important thing is that you're happy where you are. All of the unis you've applied to will have different modules and cover different skills, but your employability at the end of your degree depends on your broader experience, not just your degree title or university. I'd say the best thing you can do is have a look at the modules across all years for each course you've applied to and look at online campus tours and see which universities reflect your interests the most. If you enjoy your course and come out of uni with a genuine flare for your subject, you're going to be much more likely to find a job you love than if you spent 3/4 years somewhere you didn't really want to be.

I felt pressured by my family and school to put Bristol as my firm choice because of its good biology facilities, but something about the course and uni just felt off for me and i knew deep down that I wouldn't be happy there. Conversely, I loved Southampton campus and the city on the open day and could see myself feeling at home there, and I have really enjoyed my time at uni so far! If, like me, you're someone who takes a while to adjust to new places and new people, I think choosing somewhere you like will make coming to university so much easier!

I hope this helps you reach a decision, and please don't hesitate to ask any more questions! :smile:

Finola (3rd year Biology and Marine Biology student)
Original post by poynton
Hi! Thanks for the message, I’ve been trying to locate the modules for zoology on Swansea university website but have yet to find them, will look again later, I’m applying for a year abroad but hoping I can make the grade in chemistry for the requirement.

Hi @poynton,
It's great that you're interested in our zoology course! Here is the link to have a look at our modules if you're still looking :https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/biosciences-geography-physics/biosciences/bsc-zoology/#modules=is-expanded
Original post by poynton
I was wondering if the zoology courses had a wide breadth in terms of physiology and marine biology optional modules, or even avian biology

Our Zoology course shares the same modules as biology and marine biology in the first year. Throughout second and third year, you will also have the opportunity to choose both zoology and marine biology modules which include animal physiology, evolution, marine invertebrates and ichthyology etc. So you can choose what subjects you like the most. I hope this helps!:smile:
Hello @poynton

Hi Karolina!
I'm wondering if you could swap to doing a Year Abroad if you applied for the same course with a Year in Industry or vice versa? Or is it strictly what you applied for you get to do?
Original post by AtropaBelladonna
Hi Karolina!
I'm wondering if you could swap to doing a Year Abroad if you applied for the same course with a Year in Industry or vice versa? Or is it strictly what you applied for you get to do?

Hi @AtropaBelladonna, great to hear from you.

Each University might have a slightly different approach to changing specific course choices or sandwich year options (before and after you enrol) - but at Swansea Uni, you can normally swap between Year in Industry and Year Abroad quite easily...as long as the course has a YA option.

If you'd like us to amend your Swansea course choice before results day, you can get in touch with our Admissions Team at [email protected]. Or if you're not 100% on Year Abroad options just yet, you can ask to transfer after you arrive in Swansea and settle in to your studies. There's lots of useful Year Abroad info on our Go Global webpages.

Best wishes for the future!
Karolina (Future Students Team)
Hi there! I’m a current student at Aber (not your course though). If you have any general questions I can try and answer! I’m not a representative of the uni, just a student :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by sophthedino
Hi there! I’m a current student at Aber (not your course though). If you have any general questions I can try and answer! I’m not a representative of the uni, just a student :smile:

Hi there!

id like to know about the accommodation, where are you currently and how is it to live there? Also the nitpicking things like can you put posters up on your walls without ruining your deposit etc.
Also how active the societies are and maybe which ones you are doing and how good they are.
many thanks!
Original post by poynton
Hi there!

id like to know about the accommodation, where are you currently and how is it to live there? Also the nitpicking things like can you put posters up on your walls without ruining your deposit etc.
Also how active the societies are and maybe which ones you are doing and how good they are.
many thanks!

Hey!

So I am currently staying in Fferm Penglais which is the most expensive halls apart from studios. I have an en-suite and the room is lovely and big. The kitchen is perfect - two fridges, two ovens and two hobs (I am in a flat of 8, but you can also get flats of 6). It is about a 10 minute walk to campus across the bridge.

You won't get your deposit back if you cause any damage, so if you feel you can put posters up without damaging the walls then it should be fine! However, there are bedroom checks once a semester and kitchen/communal area ones every 3 weeks so be sure to keep things nice for them!

Societies are very active and the student union has all the information on them. Sports socials tend to be every wednesdasy I believe or at least matches tend to be then. Varsity happens every year (Aberystwyth vs Bangor) and Super Teams where different sports teams compete in sports other than their own - really fun! :smile:

Any other questions I wouls be glad to help :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by poynton

Choose one with a year abroad/placement - have you visited them? Bristol is not a good place to live - numerous issues with accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest