Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Could someone teach me this auxiliary angle method and explain what is can actually be used for? I've looked in my book but it doesn't seem to be in there. Which P books cover this topic?

    I would also like to ask, what are the uses of cotangent, cosecant, and secant? Or Sin^2 x and other forms similar to that?

    And last of all, i would like to ask why are angles sometimes expressed as an angle then minutes and then something else? Like this: angle minute'' and something i don't know


    no idea about auxiliary angle... could you restate the question please?

    err... cot, cosec and sec are just the 3 'other' definitions that most people forget due to the syllabus... they are used exactly like sin, cos, tan (I dissagree... no calculator button for those!!)

    and its the same for HMS notation (no... its not a ship... its the Hours/Minutes/Second notation..)... so 1 Degree = 60 Minutes = 3600 Seconds... errr or... 1o = 60' = 3600" to be more mathematical... its just how the we never got rid of the babylonian style calculation.. (they worked in base-60)
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2005

University open days

  • Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier


Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here


How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way


Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.