The Student Room Group

Spanish GCSE

hello, I'm currently in year 10 and am taking spanish GCSE. I need to improve my Spanish and was wondering if anybody got a 9/A* in their GCSE, how did you do it?

Original post by xttrockzx
hello, I'm currently in year 10 and am taking spanish GCSE. I need to improve my Spanish and was wondering if anybody got a 9/A* in their GCSE, how did you do it?

hello! I would recommend just repetition; id write words over and over until it became second nature to, for eg, associate 'clothes' with 'ropas' and 'beach' with 'playa' and all the rest. Duolingo is a great tool, granted its notifs are annoying- but it helps to just simply test you on words whilst say walking to/from school. Some people recommend trying to watch kids cartoons or kids tv programmes in Spanish, as dialogue is usually simple enough to hear correctly and can help with the audio part, but honestly I've yet to give it a try myself. Currently in my last year, and I still want to improve. When its a choice between Spanish or Irish, like with mine, it wasn't hard to motivate myself lol :biggrin:
Original post by xttrockzx

Hi, I’m a year 13 A Level Spanish student. I got a 9 in GCSE Spanish and I’m predicted an A* in my A Level. I’m also going to be studying Spanish at university.

I did this without revising from a single vocab list! I honestly despise them, for me they kill a language and make it sooo boring.

A lot of my advice I took from the polyglot “Olly Richards”. I recommend reading and listening in Spanish to absorb the language.

The first book I read was: “Short Stories in Beginner’s Spanish” by Olly Richards

These YouTube channels are GREAT for learning Spanish naturally: “Spanish After Hours” and “Why Not Spanish?”
You can watch with English subtitles and then with Spanish ones.

For the Spanish writing exam the CGP AQA GCSE Spanish revision guide was amazing! Ngl I memorised full sentences from this book for the exam haha.

As for the speaking exam, I didn’t do mine because of COVID. But for A Levels I practice my speaking on a language exchange app “HelloTalk”. I’d say it’s like a social media for language learners. You can text people or send them voice messages in Spanish and they’ll correct your mistakes and help you.

Honestly, this might be over the top for GCSE but I’m a language fanatic so this is why I did this much, I also found it really fun too. Let me know if you want any more help!
Reply 3
Original post by Blahajbites
hello! I would recommend just repetition; id write words over and over until it became second nature to, for eg, associate 'clothes' with 'ropas' and 'beach' with 'playa' and all the rest. Duolingo is a great tool, granted its notifs are annoying- but it helps to just simply test you on words whilst say walking to/from school. Some people recommend trying to watch kids cartoons or kids tv programmes in Spanish, as dialogue is usually simple enough to hear correctly and can help with the audio part, but honestly I've yet to give it a try myself. Currently in my last year, and I still want to improve. When its a choice between Spanish or Irish, like with mine, it wasn't hard to motivate myself lol :biggrin:

thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by mollyg01
Hi, I’m a year 13 A Level Spanish student. I got a 9 in GCSE Spanish and I’m predicted an A* in my A Level. I’m also going to be studying Spanish at university.

I did this without revising from a single vocab list! I honestly despise them, for me they kill a language and make it sooo boring.

A lot of my advice I took from the polyglot “Olly Richards”. I recommend reading and listening in Spanish to absorb the language.

The first book I read was: “Short Stories in Beginner’s Spanish” by Olly Richards

These YouTube channels are GREAT for learning Spanish naturally: “Spanish After Hours” and “Why Not Spanish?”
You can watch with English subtitles and then with Spanish ones.

For the Spanish writing exam the CGP AQA GCSE Spanish revision guide was amazing! Ngl I memorised full sentences from this book for the exam haha.

As for the speaking exam, I didn’t do mine because of COVID. But for A Levels I practice my speaking on a language exchange app “HelloTalk”. I’d say it’s like a social media for language learners. You can text people or send them voice messages in Spanish and they’ll correct your mistakes and help you.

Honestly, this might be over the top for GCSE but I’m a language fanatic so this is why I did this much, I also found it really fun too. Let me know if you want any more help!

thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending