The Student Room Group

My Mum is getting on my nerves

I gained weight due to being on medication and went from 50kg to 63/64kg. At first the weight gain really got to me as I wasn't used to having the extra weight. So I did all I could to lose it: went to the gym, tried to eat healthily, counted calories and eventually started starving myself when my family members weren't around and I was just by myself so I wouldn't be tempted to eat. I've noticed that when I want to eat certain foods my Mum says stuff like "but I thought you wanted to lose weight", "you will be fat" or "this food will make you put on weight". At first I thought she was trying to help me but it almost seems like my weight gain bothers her like it's her own. When I look in the mirror I know I'm far from fat but these comments are unhelpful and she's no oil painting herself.
Original post by Diva11
I gained weight due to being on medication and went from 50kg to 63/64kg. At first the weight gain really got to me as I wasn't used to having the extra weight. So I did all I could to lose it: went to the gym, tried to eat healthily, counted calories and eventually started starving myself when my family members weren't around and I was just by myself so I wouldn't be tempted to eat. I've noticed that when I want to eat certain foods my Mum says stuff like "but I thought you wanted to lose weight", "you will be fat" or "this food will make you put on weight". At first I thought she was trying to help me but it almost seems like my weight gain bothers her like it's her own. When I look in the mirror I know I'm far from fat but these comments are unhelpful and she's no oil painting herself.

USUALLY, all mothers want is the best for their child. You have put a lot of effort and sacrifice into losing weight, maybe your mum wants you to be careful.

If you want avoid gaining weight again then you NEED to educate yourself. Be able to say "we actually mum, this food is fine to eat".
You were right with the calorie counting: weight change is fully determined by how many calories you eat

Find your maintainance calories then...

To lose weight, eat under your maintenance calories.
To maintain weight, eat at your maintenance calories.
To gain weight, eat above your maintenance calories.

Keep in mind that if you also want to be healthy, you should be eating healthily.
Weight change is not correlated to your health, but it can help it.
You gave a good example. You were starving yourself to lose weight. Unhealthy, don't do that.

I wish you luck in your journey!

Quick Reply

Latest