The Student Room Group

graduate schemes help

hello everyone.

I have a question about graduate schemes. I am not very good at maths, but I am OK with the rest, such as situational tasks. I feel like it is the maths that will stop me from getting offers from these schemes.

I know some will say to practice, but I just feel like I'm not naturally good at maths even if I practice.

can someone guide me on what I can do to improve in these mathematical skills as nearly all graduate schemes will use them to get grads onto the next stage?

Thank you :smile:)
Reply 1
Any help would be appreciated. :smile:
Reply 2
Hello. It’s been a day, but I haven’t gone any response. Can someone help me on how to overcome this as I’m not strong at maths
Try a practice assessment and practice the basic mental maths.
Reply 4
Original post by 2102945
Try a practice assessment and practice the basic mental maths.

thank you for your response.

it is the graphs that gets me confused and the percentages
Original post by ThyNDS
thank you for your response.

it is the graphs that gets me confused and the percentages

Go on physics and maths tutor or Corbett maths and practice it at gcse level.
I am a second year math student and I still struggle with doing those sections quickly 😂
Reply 6
You need to learn:

percentage increases

percentage decreases

compound interest formula

manipulating ratios

adding large numbers of the order of hundreds of thousands quickly (ignoring the ones and tens) can be beneficial

reading bar graphs, scatter graphs and pie charts.

Generally, always focus on accuracy rather than speed. You will usually be tested on both, but you can often still pass through to the next stage if you are slow but accurate. However, in my experience, you will never pass with many incorrect answers.

Some of the tests have tables which you may be able to copy and paste into a spreadsheet for faster manipulations.

Lots of smaller sized companies do not utilise such tests and you may find it easier making applications to those companies instead.

In the future, if you want people to help more quickly, you should consider writing a title that more closely resembles the question in your first post.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by 0le
You need to learn:

percentage increases

percentage decreases

compound interest formula

manipulating ratios

adding large numbers of the order of hundreds of thousands quickly (ignoring the ones and tens) can be beneficial

reading bar graphs, scatter graphs and pie charts.

Generally, always focus on accuracy rather than speed. You will usually be tested on both, but you can often still pass through to the next stage if you are slow but accurate. However, in my experience, you will never pass with many incorrect answers.

Some of the tests have tables which you may be able to copy and paste into a spreadsheet for faster manipulations.

Lots of smaller sized companies do not utilise such tests and you may find it easier making applications to those companies instead.

In the future, if you want people to help more quickly, you should consider writing a title that more closely resembles the question in your first post.

hello there.

this is so useful!! and I will remember your advice

Quick Reply

Latest